Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This just happened.... Cost to replace ??

Old 06-16-2019, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by poesdad
This is crazy. I wish I could do a 350 swap for $4k

I’m reading posts with Hemi swaps over $20k
Yeah, you're easily looking at $25k for a Hemi swap if someone else installs it. I would love to have a Hemi or LS, but I think I'll end up settling for a Ripp supercharger eventually.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Check forums, LS-Hemi install shops for takeout 3.8 engines.

You don't want to try doing a 3.6 swap.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent one pm so far.

Looking at possibly rebuilding or getting one from Jaspers.

Is there a way to swap a 350 and use the shock trany/running gear?

Any idea roughly the cost,if so?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was just quoted $6k for a rebuild instal with three year/ 100k Mile warranty at a local shop
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrChuckles
Yeah, you're easily looking at $25k for a Hemi swap if someone else installs it. I would love to have a Hemi or LS, but I think I'll end up settling for a Ripp supercharger eventually.
Originally Posted by caryt
Check forums, LS-Hemi install shops for takeout 3.8 engines.

You don't want to try doing a 3.6 swap.
I sent one pm so far.

Looking at possibly rebuilding or getting one from Jaspers.

Is there a way to swap a 350 and use the shock trany/running gear?

Any idea roughly the cost,if so?
I was just quoted $6k for a rebuild instal with three year/ 100k Mile warranty at a local shop

Im checking on the turnaround now.

And other possibilities, not sure if it’s a Jasper engine. .
Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In House Builds - MOTECH PREMIUM CONVERSIONS

Looks like Motech starts at $15k?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkg
In House Builds - MOTECH PREMIUM CONVERSIONS

Looks like Motech starts at $15k?
Ouch!!

i got two more quotes today. Both Jasper engines. One was $5956 and the other was $5434.

I have a couple more shops I will be checking with tomorrow. Heading back to tinker around a little and see if we can determine exactly what is damaged.

I am still considering rebuilding the current engine though.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I would have to think your cheapest solution, would be to tear down and rebuild your current engine yourself which is going to cost time/effort in return to get those cost savings.

Next cheapest solution, get one of these and swap yourself. Again, time/effort of doing it yourself turns into less $ out of pocket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...frcectupt=true

Then from there is going to be the shops doing the same work for you of either of the above where you're now jumping into that $5K+ price range. 1/2 the cost is for the replacement, the other half for labor.

V8 swaps aren't as simple as they sound. There's all the electronic computer and communications that take place where you're going to need to start with a Motech or RPM Extreme ECM and wire harness conversion kit which start at around $5K. Then there's the costs of the engine and trans you'll need. Then replacement radiator cooling system, entire custom exhaust, drive shafts, T-case, etc all on top of the cost of the electronic conversion kit. Probably around $10K in parts if you can do it yourself for an LS swap, $15K and upwards for someone else to do it for you.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-18-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I would have to think your cheapest solution, would be to tear down and rebuild your current engine yourself which is going to cost time/effort in return to get those cost savings.

Next cheapest solution, get one of these and swap yourself. Again, time/effort of doing it yourself turns into less $ out of pocket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...frcectupt=true

Then from there is going to be the shops doing the same work for you of either of the above where you're now jumping into that $5K+ price range. 1/2 the cost is for the replacement, the other half for labor.

V8 swaps aren't as simple as they sound. There's all the electronic computer and communications that take place where you're going to need to start with a Motech or RPM Extreme ECM and wire harness conversion kit which start at around $5K. Then there's the costs of the engine and trans you'll need. Then replacement radiator cooling system, entire custom exhaust, drive shafts, T-case, etc all on top of the cost of the electronic conversion kit. Probably around $10K in parts if you can do it yourself for an LS swap, $15K and upwards for someone else to do it for you.
Makes sense,

my math with the $5434 quote shows $1741 for labor to get the Jasper.

i dropped the oil last night and it looked dark, (two weeks after oil change) but no metal I could find.

Plan is to drop the pan tonight and look at the bottom end. And start pulling the crap off the top end to get to the rocker covers..

strange thing is, the oil on the dipstick looked really clean, unlike the oil that came out of the bottom end.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know much about ATK engines?

local shop quotes $4350 complete

but I am leaning toward the Jasper. Since they say the parts they use fixed one of the issues it had been know for.

Quick Reply: This just happened.... Cost to replace ??