Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This just happened.... Cost to replace ??

Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I have no personal experience but your question got me curious where I started looking for reviews. I ended up on Youtube. The funny thing is that I'm seeing a lot of criticism on Jasper engines and everything on ATK I've watched has seemed pretty positive. I don't know if that's because Jasper makes more remanufactured engines but it may be worth checking out some Youtube videos.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I have no personal experience but your question got me curious where I started looking for reviews. I ended up on Youtube. The funny thing is that I'm seeing a lot of criticism on Jasper engines and everything on ATK I've watched has seemed pretty positive. I don't know if that's because Jasper makes more remanufactured engines but it may be worth checking out some Youtube videos.
Uh oh...

thats very interesting.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've had two Jasper motors and they were both trash. One is a 350 for a corvette, another was the 302 for a bronco. Both leaked oil and neither had any more power than the tired power plants they replaced. I put maybe 5,000 miles on the bronco before deciding to cut my losses and move on. The corvette is a nice lawn ornament at the current time as it has coolant leaking somewhere in the block. Both swaps were done by highly recommended shops (one of which is a Rick Hendrick Chevy dealer).

For my money- I'm going to get a rebuilt one from a reputable seller on eBay and do my own install. Other option is, if time allows, that I'd rebuild it myself just like the forum member here who posted all of the steps.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've had two Jasper motors and they were both trash. One is a 350 for a corvette, another was the 302 for a bronco. Both leaked oil and neither had any more power than the tired power plants they replaced. I put maybe 5,000 miles on the bronco before deciding to cut my losses and move on. The corvette is a nice lawn ornament at the current time as it has coolant leaking somewhere in the block. Both swaps were done by highly recommended shops (one of which is a Rick Hendrick Chevy dealer).

For my money- I'm going to get a rebuilt one from a reputable seller on eBay and do my own install. Other option is, if time allows, that I'd rebuild it myself just like the forum member here who posted all of the steps.

And now I am reading all sorts of bad reviews on ATK engines. What the heck?

Being told “good luck finding a legitimately good engine rebuild company”
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a motor from autozone, checker, jasper, etc: .... Install it yourself and save 3000.. Its not that hard, all you need is a few basic tools and rent a engine lift.. Even if it took you a week to finish it still saves you 3000.. 3.8 liter is easy.... Fix it, sell it and buy a jk 3.6 liter
Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJKU2017
Buy a motor from autozone, checker, jasper, etc: .... Install it yourself and save 3000.. Its not that hard, all you need is a few basic tools and rent a engine lift.. Even if it took you a week to finish it still saves you 3000.. 3.8 liter is easy.... Fix it, sell it and buy a jk 3.6 liter
This is probably what I would do. Purchase a reman Jasper or ATK engine. I'ld probably lean towards whichever had the best warranty available and I'ld be sure to read the warranty and all its fine print. I'ld head out to HF and get an inexpensive engine hoist and do the swap myself. I'ld take a week off of work and plug away at it for that entire week and if I wasn't finished within that week, then I'ld rent the lowest cost compact car on a weekly basis to get me to work until finished.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-20-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/market/350542

That got bumped to the top with someone else asking about it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Too bad. I just sold a 3.8 removed from my Jeep and running perfect with zero oil leak and use. It was from a manual and had 108000miles on it. I never revved it over 3500 but it looks like the autos get the revs up higher. These engines with their shitty oil rings and rod bearing issues do not like rpm. I am going with the Chev 2016 Gen V LT / 8 spd auto conversion do it myself with Motech kit.
I think you will be $$ ahead to rebuild the motor your self. Just please remember to use a multi layer steel Cometic head gaskets, they are exoensive and are reusable over and over. They fix the aluminum to cast issues with head gaskets. Get the 505 rod and piston kit and get a reputable machine shop to do the work near you.

Quick Reply: This just happened.... Cost to replace ??