Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N Filter

Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N Filter

I was just wondering if a K & N drop in filter into the stock air box is a waste of money? Yeah I know the change in performance will be minimal, if any. But what do you guys think?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had problems with the last one that I used, it took out the mass airflow sensor by covering it with oil.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I did the same thing with the K&N CAI I had on my Lancer. But I know I had too much oil on it, or never waited long enough for it to dry. So, for that reason, I'm not overly worried. But thanx for the reply
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gives minimal increase in performance as you said. Increases exhaust sound, but lets tiny particles through which can reduce your engine's longevity.

I put the drop-in on my 05 TJ, and after about a year I noticed a thread on another forum stating the dirt buildup. I look inside the engine side of my air intake and there is a very fine layer of dust.

Put a paper back in, cleaned the air intake tube, a year later not a spec to be found.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Desert Eagle
I had problems with the last one that I used, it took out the mass airflow sensor by covering it with oil.
Normally caused by over oiling the filter, and not allowing to dry before using
Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demp
Gives minimal increase in performance as you said. Increases exhaust sound, but lets tiny particles through which can reduce your engine's longevity.

I put the drop-in on my 05 TJ, and after about a year I noticed a thread on another forum stating the dirt buildup. I look inside the engine side of my air intake and there is a very fine layer of dust.

Put a paper back in, cleaned the air intake tube, a year later not a spec to be found.
WOW, really? So what your saying is that the K&N filter does not do as good job filter the air then the stock filter does. That comes as a shock to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the nature of any high flow filter, not just K&N. To let more air through you have to filter less aggressively, as the filtering will restrict air.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

I just changed to k&n and noticed a 2 mpg gain. Granted my stock filter was extremely dirty. Noticed no performance gain. And no change in the sound of the vehicle.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

U can't go wrong with a K&N filter..... There's a reason they are used in NASCAR, NASTRUCK, NHRA, INDY, and many other local racers use it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

So this has led me to a new question or query. Looking for peoples opinions here. Is the amount of "dirt" being let through by the K&N to the point of being damaging to your engine?
As previously stated, I've had a K&N CAI on the Lancer for 8 years. Never an issue.

Quick Reply: K & N Filter