Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kilby Evap relocate install Problem

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kilby Evap relocate install Problem

The unit is bouncing off the bottom of the tub over bumps. I checked and everything is tight, if I knock on it from the bottom it doesn't hit the tub, but if I poush it up and on the road it sure does.
Other than wedging a piece of foam between the top of the unit and the tub to hide the symptom... does anybody have a solution?

Thanks,
B

Last edited by 2mont; 06-21-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2mont
The unit is bouncing off the bottom of the tub over bumps. I checked and everything is tight, if I knock on it from the bottom it doesn't hit the tub, but on the road it sure does.
Other than wedging a piece of foam between the top of the unit and the tub to hide the symptom... does anybody have a solution?

Thanks,
B
idk about the kilby, but i have zero issues with my woods evap relo. try and take a pic of where its loose or hitting...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok they're bigger... too big!

Last edited by 2mont; 06-21-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Foam

I removed it and re-installed it twice, I bent the metal strap a little to get rid of the gap and it was more snug against the evap canister. But... it still made contact with the tub.
Then I reversed the metal plate in the frame... worse.
Lastly, I dropped it, placed some 1/4 inch closed cell foam (old sleeping pad) between the tub and the top of the canister. Then tightened down again and well it doesn't clang anymore.

Still not the solution I was hoping for so I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Contact Kilby, there is a spacer that they will send you to address this issue. Solved mine 100%!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brilliant!
I actually looked for their number on the instruction sheet while I was under there, but realized I left my phone inside and went back to wrenching and never thought of it again. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with the Kilby evap relocation skid allowing the canister to hit the tub causing a thumping sound when going over bumps. I solved this problem by fabricating a bracket that attaches to the skid and rests on the spring retainer pushing the skid and canister away from the tub. This mod has been in place for two years and works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019..jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	73757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	73758  
Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I contacted Kilby and they said:
"You're the first of hundreds to experience this. Not sure why, but it looks like your strap may be bowed up slightly? If so, you may try to open the hole on the mounting plate (longer) to alleviate the bowing. Let us know if this works."

Oh well. I guess I'll keep the foam in there. I like the fab blocker above, that is nifty.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

That's crap. Did you ask them about the spacer? They sent me one right away and admitted this was an issue.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did, I explained that I was told there is a spacer and I also included a pic of RubiRed08's fix. I said I couldn't be the only one!

The reply: "Our shipping person has no record of sending a spacer (which, incidentally we don't make), so I can't help with that. If you think a spacer will correct your issue, you might try it, but as I said, we have not experienced this problem to my knowledge in the 2 years I've been here. Let me know what you find."

Then I got another message that there has been one spacer sent out before, and I will receive one shortly. The responses were quick and I got the impression that the person responding is not familiar with any tech issues.

On another note, I managed to do something to the evap canister... getting the "gascap" and engine light now.

Last edited by 2mont; 06-29-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Kilby Evap relocate install Problem