Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King Coilovers....

Old 04-12-2017, 01:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default King Coilovers....

Are these things generally noisy/creaky? Currently have about ~ .75" of preload dialed in. Can hear the "creaks" on slow turns, pulling in/out of driveway, etc.

The springs look like they've started to settle in. They've been installed on the front now for only about 8 days but damn.....

Never had any noise coming from my sedan coilovers.

Other then that, they look sweet with the axle upgrade and cut fenders. Looking forward to flexing them out.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They're going to get extremely worse.

My recommendation? Give them to me.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by numbah1
They're going to get extremely worse.

My recommendation? Give them to me.

....lol only if you have 12" travel skyjackers to swap in then I might actually consider it lol

Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine make no noise at all but, they are on my '61 Willys wagon. I don't know what you have mounted them on, or what hardware you used to mount them. Anything needs greased that you didn't grease ?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I'm going to mount a go-pro underneath the front bumper to see if I can get a better peek. Everything was just freshly installed with the only new components really being the Yeti draglink and the Kings.

I'll have to double check the tie rod ends since the Synergy is prone to flopping so that might be the source for creaking....

Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep they are noisy. Mine sounded like a hay wagon on that Rubicon trip with you. I adjusted the preload and it is much better, but if they are not totally clean they do make noise. I just got used to it as they are so awesome otherwise!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Yep they are noisy. Mine sounded like a hay wagon on that Rubicon trip with you. I adjusted the preload and it is much better, but if they are not totally clean they do make noise. I just got used to it as they are so awesome otherwise!

Yeah, because I'm pretty positive the sound is coming from the coilovers when under load / while turning.

It sounds like that percussion fish instrument they would make you play with during grade school, but instead of wood on wood, it's metal on metal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 8.48.04 PM.png
Views:	158
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	670246

I did a little digging and it looks like the following might be the fix:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 8.47.23 PM.png
Views:	192
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	670244

The AGM slider is like nothing on the market today; specifically designed for the brutal demands imposed by modern off-road vehicles. The AGM slider provides its user with the strength and support of an aluminum slider while still allowing the smooth non-destructive operation of a molded slider. This is accomplished through the use of a precision fit insert, made of a proprietary blend of the finest materials and a 6061 hard anodized 2-piece outer housing. In total the AGM slider will hold suspension springs truer to each other and their respective coil carrier body. There by preventing the contact that inevitably occurs when an O.E.M. slider prematurely wears, deforms or breaks allowing the springs to deflect and hit the coil carrier body, causing damage to both. It is because of this that the AGM slider will increase component life and could reduce related prep costs by as much as $2000.00 per race.

So whether it’s racing a Trophy Truck or just having fun in the desert with a weekend toy, those who care about their vehicles will choose the AGM slider!

2.0/2.5 Slider Inserts

The AGM slider insert is made of a proprietary blend of materials which provides our insert with the lubricity needed to allow smooth operation of the slider without damaging the coil carrier body as well as the strength needed for the insert to keep its shape without distorting or cracking. These features make the AGM slider the best performing and longest lasting slider on the market today!

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 8.49.39 PM.png
Views:	165
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	670245
All German Motosports have designed their Sliders that fits between the upper and lower spring on a coilover. This is a two-piece design that allows the suspension to rapidly cycle without allowing the springs to rotate along with the sliders. Typically when springs move on stationary sliders, this will create wear on the sliders, and it could wear on the strut threads.

These feature an anodized aluminum housing, a proprietary internal sleeve that are also available for separate replacement, and they are 100% made in the USA.

I think the creaks would drive me crazy long term. Like some WW2 japanese torture device lol...

Last edited by DJ1; 04-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep the AGM's will fix it, but at a cost that isn't worth it to me. I'll live with the noise!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fish Thing

That fish thing you are referencing is called a guiro

Originally Posted by DJ1
Yeah, because I'm pretty positive the sound is coming from the coilovers when under load / while turning.

It sounds like that percussion fish instrument they would make you play with during grade school, but instead of wood on wood, it's metal on metal...

Attachment 670246

I did a little digging and it looks like the following might be the fix:

Attachment 670244

Attachment 670245

I think the creaks would drive me crazy long term. Like some WW2 japanese torture device lol...

Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Tilly
That fish thing you are referencing is called a guiro

Better the guiro than more cowbell....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz4Gf2k8SsM&list=PLmOYlCfpi9UakQb2eM8p29UxOY0dQXh9L

Quick Reply: King Coilovers....