Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Larger Tire on stock tailgate question?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger Tire on stock tailgate question?

Going from a stock 255x75x17 to a 35x12.5.17 tire (stock rims) on my 2012 JK Unlimited. Would just like to buy a MBRP tire relocation bracket instead of a pricey new hinged carrier. Will the extra weight cause any issues with my tailgate down the road. I guess I can't be adding much more than 20 lbs. but unsure of what load the stock carrier can handle. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

If I have to spend close to $500 for a new hinged tire carrier, I might as well spend the extra to upgrade to a whole new bumper and carrier system. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running a 35x12.5 spare on my stock tailgate mount for 90k miles without issue. This includes around 8k off road time. No damage thus far, so yes, it is possible
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why risk taking the chance? Like I always tell people, buy once cry once...

Check out the Teraflex carrier & hinge, it's the least expensive option out there and extremely durable.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK_Zach
Why risk taking the chance? Like I always tell people, buy once cry once...

Check out the Teraflex carrier & hinge, it's the least expensive option out there and extremely durable.
The Teraflex Tire Carrier is a great product. It'll spread out the load from the tire and save the tailgate. Just make sure you set the tailgate snubbers to hold the tire securely. Let me know if you're interested in a quote or if you have any questions at all!

-Ryan
Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mtngoat64
Going from a stock 255x75x17 to a 35x12.5.17 tire (stock rims) on my 2012 JK Unlimited. Would just like to buy a MBRP tire relocation bracket instead of a pricey new hinged carrier. Will the extra weight cause any issues with my tailgate down the road. I guess I can't be adding much more than 20 lbs. but unsure of what load the stock carrier can handle. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

If I have to spend close to $500 for a new hinged tire carrier, I might as well spend the extra to upgrade to a whole new bumper and carrier system. Thanks.
I am doing this but with the expedition one bracket. Check it out, one solid piece so no worries on bending or breaking. I also had to add the daystar extended stops to get everything nice and tight.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TF

I run the TF hinge with the stock carrier and a 35.

LOVE it, love it, love it.

Found it around $450, free ship on eBay a while back.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

I just bought a new 14 JKUR on Friday. There is a postcard sized paper that came with the manual. Something about do not exceed 84lbs.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a 33" micky thompson tire on factory rubi wheel for about a year and half I think. Ended up having to replace the hinges as it got to the point where I had to lift the tailgate and tire up to latch it. Otherwise if I just swung it close it would bounce off the striker and hit you. Replaced the hinges when I got my LOD, still doesn't close perfectly with even no weight on it but I'd say its 90% good and swings closed okay.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A set of bumpstops might not be a bad idea.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran a 35" km2 witch is a light tire on my stock tailgate with no problems for about a year. On and off-road. Now I have 37's and won't be trying those on my stock tailgate.

Quick Reply: Larger Tire on stock tailgate question?