Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)

I haven't seen a post yet about this. When I was getting my wheels and tires installed the other day, they advised me that they put bags of equal inside the tires instead of using lead weights. After about 15-20 minutes on the road the bags would open and let the contents inside the tire. After the time they stated,there was not any vibration from it not being balanced. They stated that they use it with the large wheels on big trucks and other wheels that are hard to balance by the machine. They stated that it keeps your tires constantly balanced while it is going down the road. I was just wondering if anyone else has used this or heard of this.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of that - but i also remeber something about not using with TPMS sensors.. I will do a search and see if i can find it...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure about interactions with wheel sensors either, but guys with older rigs here use Airsoft pellets in their tires. I think about 5 ounces per tire. Seems to work well for them.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by headqtr81
they advised me that they put bags of equal inside the tires instead of using lead weights. After about 15-20 minutes on the road the bags would open and let the contents inside the tire.
Cool, when you air down before wheeling, just hold your cup of coffee below your tire valve. Don't forget the creamer if you like.

Now will you get ants in the summer, or worse yet, bees!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the airsoft pellet solution. If this doesn't interfere with the sensors, I'm doing it on my TJ. Mud will always throw off balanced wheels. This will make up for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I wouldda just told um to use lead weights.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

I know several guys using the airsoft pellets and they love them. There is a formula that I cant recall right now to figure out how much to put in. I would never use equal, and if a shop put it inside my tires I would be pissed. What will moisture do to it in the long run? Why not just use product meant for that purpose. Anyway, I've thought about using the pellets in mine, but have had really good luck with balancing this set. So, havent messed with it...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have never heard of this and am having a hard time visualizing how this works. Could someone gimmie a hint? I have 33 12.5 r15's and am having balancing issues. Should I consider this?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here never heard of balancing a tire that way
Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

I don't have any experience with this, but a previous thread on this forum talked about this and referred to this site.

http://w w w.innovativebalancing.com

Quick Reply: Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)