Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk engine swap, opinions wanted.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
I am still not sure. I will have to talk to a couple of shops and listen to what they say. I do not have knowledge or tools to do the swap myself, but that engine looked amazing.

As it stands, I am going to take my Jeep to the shop and if it is just the WCM or something simple, then I am going to fix it. If not, then I am going to proceed forward with the engine swap.

Thanks everyone.
II have a 6.4 Hemi swap and it works just fine. I was at Trail Jeeps a couple years ago and they were doing LS swaps. They were using the Bruiser conversion setups. They had 3 new LS engines sitting in the entry way. I don't know what they were charging for the conversion but looked like they were doing a nice job when I walked through their shop.
The following users liked this post:
northsidejeepin (10-15-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
I am still not sure. I will have to talk to a couple of shops and listen to what they say. I do not have knowledge or tools to do the swap myself, but that engine looked amazing.

As it stands, I am going to take my Jeep to the shop and if it is just the WCM or something simple, then I am going to fix it. If not, then I am going to proceed forward with the engine swap.

Thanks everyone.
I like how you're debating with yourself between a $1K fix and a 20K+ fix while currently under budget restrictions. Now that's the JEEP spirit! It's kind of like......ahhhhh shucks, my exhaust needs replacing....might as well put a new V8 engine and trans in there while I'm at it which will fix that darn exhaust.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-31-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll second Riptide on the 4.88s. I'm running 4.88s with 37s and prefer it. Robbie does recommend 4.56, but I think that's because that will net the optimum highway economy. With 4.88s and 37s (35.5 measured), I turn 1900 at 70mph.

As for the use of 4HI or 4LO... so I have an Atlas 4.3:1. So my 4HI has a crawl ratio of 20:1 and a 4LO crawl of 84:1. That sounds super low, but the new Rubicons have similar ratios. With the power/torque of the LS, I can do most stuff in 4HI and use my 4LO for situations where I need very controlled speeds (like descending or a very steep climb). The other thing to consider is that with a 6 speed auto, 2nd gear with 4LO and have a 46:1 ratio, 3rd is 30:1...
Rednroll (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Seeing as though I'm not planning to move to 37s, my 35s are 34in measured, 33.75in currently programmed with Flashcal for proper speedo, do you think 4.56 gears would make the most sense for me?

Also, I think I'm finally coming up to speed on understanding all the different LS engine associated nomenclatures. I was previously confused when others would mention an "LS3" or as jedg mentioned having an "L96". I only really got as far as knowing there were LS Gen 3, 4, 5, etc. Those other LS1, LS2, LS3, LSA, LS9, LM7 and L96 references had me confused, especially when the marketing word "Vortec" was thrown into the mix. My original thought was that when someone was referring to an "LS3", then that was an LS Gen 3 engine but I now realize my assumptions were totally incorrect and that a "Vortec" engine, just means it was originally a GM Truck engine, where most of the earlier LS engines were iron blocks for their trucks.

Anyways, in light of my misunderstandings/confusion I'm now working on an LS engine cross reference guide.
Here's the start of that cross reference guide. Can anyone think of any other information I should include? I'ld really like to include the weight for each engine but so far finding that seems more difficult.

This is going to be a long drawn out project for myself. My current plan is to go to junk yards and auto auctions hunting for an engine and trans. In regards to the auto auctions, my hope would be that I find a newer car that has been in an accident, and totaled by an insurance company, preferably has been in a rear end collision. If the engine ends up having high miles on it, my thought would be that I would have it mounted on an engine stand and work on cleaning it up and re-building it while I have easy access to everything on the stand. It will be more rewarding to myself, doing all the rebuild work if needed and give me something to do as a side project and reduce my out of pocket costs at the same time.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I would suggest you also add the recommended fuel to use. For example, my L96 (iron block truck engine) is set for 87 octane, whereas a friend of mine is running an LS3 and his is recommended to run 91 or higher octane.
Rednroll (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other item that I think you may be overlooking , and I only say this from looking at your chart .
An engine from the same year model or newer should be a requirement , just incase you or a subsequent buyer of your vehicle should be subject to emissions requirements .
I only say that because you never know what the future holds with the government , national required emissions testing could at some point be a thing (hope not) but as things are with states that require testing , anything on your chart would be a no-go .
CARB as well as Fed requirements at this point are changing rapidly , one company in Cali just finally got certification for the Hemi , (I believe for year model 07-11 JK only) , others have had in the pipeline swaps that should be compliant in the future (near future) , winning the aftermarket LS lottery will be something that those subject to emissions have prayed to Santa about for years , Cali , Az , Colo (some parts) are under the influence of these restrictions .
Opening those markets to swaps that have been verboten (nearly so) , will just piss-off the tree huggers , Prius owners be damned . Objections by the officials (Dems) are a stumbling block to these mods , but are being overcome from what I have heard .
Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I may be alright as long as we don't elect a liberal president into office anytime soon.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I may be alright as long as we don't elect a liberal president into office anytime soon.
Ha !
Biden's in the wings , I only hope that they run Warren or Booker …. better yet I hope they run Watters .
Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I like how you're debating with yourself between a $1K fix and a 20K+ fix while currently under budget restrictions. Now that's the JEEP spirit! It's kind of like......ahhhhh shucks, my exhaust needs replacing....might as well put a new V8 engine and trans in there while I'm at it which will fix that darn exhaust.

Ha, it isn't quite like that. My thoughts are, if it is going to cost me 2-3K, and I will end up replacing it with new on a swap, then why spend the 2-3K now. If it is only going to be around a grand, then I will wait as planned for the swap. But I get your point.

Quick Reply: Lets talk engine swap, opinions wanted.