Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift, $1000 budget looking for advice

Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift, $1000 budget looking for advice

(Edit: 2009 X) This jeep splits time with my motorcycles as my daily driver, I don't beat the crap out of it but I do take it out in the desert on my days off, so I guess light off roading. I'll be doing all the work myself so I've got $1000 to spend on parts no labor. Right now I'm leaning toward the Teraflex 2.5" lift, $519 without shocks, $787 with shocks. I could get the kit with shocks but not to crazy about black shocks, My jeep's sunburst orange and I kinda like the way silver looks in the suspension. I'm running 33's on 18" wheels, here's a couple pics of what I'm working with.

Last edited by saint mucus; 01-26-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Ever heard of paint?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I would say look at Rock Krawler, OME, Metal Cloak, and the like. I have the Teraflex 2.5 with Bilstein 5100's, and while I like the shocks, I was not impressed with the original lift height, and am not impressed with how it is getting lower as I add weight. After I add my rear bumper tire carrier combo, when it comes in in a couple of months, I will very likely be switching out for Rock Krawler. Extra weight adds up quicker than you think.

Talk with Marcus over at River City Off-Road, he knows his stuff, and can set you up with what you need. $1000 is doable for 2.5in, and can get you further than you think.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

In that price range, you can't go wrong with the Mopar 2in lift with Fox shocks. It has great onroad driving manners and is no slouch off-road. The included FOX shocks are specifically made for the Mopar kits and have been tuned to match the springs for the best ride quality.

You didn't say what year you have, but if you have a 2012+, the Mopar kit is the only one that includes a replacement drive-shaft where if you do any kind of off roading with a lift and have a 2012+, you'll likely find yourself needing a replacement drive shaft. So consider adding the cost of an aftermarket driveshaft to your budget of the other kits you look at that don't include a replacement driveshaft. Typically about $500 for an aftermarket drive shaft. You can also get the Mopar kit without the drive shaft in the $750 price range. $1K price range for the kit with drive shaft.

The Mopar 2in lift will get you 3in of lift unweighted.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-26-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 AM
JK Newbie

(Jeep is an 09 sorry about that)

Thanks, will look into those lifts, those Fox shocks are the color I want also. I guess a big reason I was going to go with Teraflex was I wouldn't have to change or need anything else other than maybe an adjustable track bar, also Teraflex has lots of instructional videos.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with a rubicon express 2.5 lift, bilsteen 5100s, front and rear adjustable track bars, castor correction brackets and an exaust spacer. Bit under a grand for all of it. So far I'm very pleased. A bit firmer ride but in a good way. Handles much better.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are keeping tires why not go with a leveling kit. Ether TF for $140 or even better EVO leveling kit for $184 and pair with Fox, Bilstiens or Rancho shocks? Rancho also has a 2" lift with shocks as well. Then you can use the reast for other goodies.

I'm running 18/59 coils with leveling kit and running 255's at the moment. Will upgrade one day to 33-34's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160511_075626.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	665432

Last edited by catahoula; 01-26-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for the advice, I know lift questions from mewbs are not very popular I think I've narrowed it down to the mopar 2" lift or the Teraflex lift kit with Fox 2.0 Adventure series shocks, price deference is less than 100 bucks.
Originally Posted by tjkamp
The RK lift is a little out of my budget, over $1000 without shocks and after reading your experience with TF has me rethinking the lift but I really haven't read many other negative reviews, I am looking closer at the 2" Mopar though. Thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

get an AEV 2.5" lift it will meet your needs and is right in the price point you are looking to spend. The other big plus about AEV is they sell well used if you decided to go bigger down the road.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by saint mucus
Thanks again for the advice, I know lift questions from mewbs are not very popular I think I've narrowed it down to the mopar 2" lift or the Teraflex lift kit with Fox 2.0 Adventure series shocks, price deference is less than 100 bucks.The RK lift is a little out of my budget, over $1000 without shocks and after reading your experience with TF has me rethinking the lift but I really haven't read many other negative reviews, I am looking closer at the 2" Mopar though. Thanks
The RK stock mod can be had with Bilstein 5100s through either River City Off-Road or Northridge4x4 for less than a grand.

If you talk with Marcus at River City he will make sure you get paired up with the right parts for your planned build, and not end up too high or too low. At 2.5 drive shafts and control arms aren't really necessary even on a two door, unless you get way more lift than advertised.

From what I have heard, MOPAR lifts use Teraflex springs, so keep that in mind.

Happy Jeeping.

Quick Reply: Lift, $1000 budget looking for advice