Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which lift?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lift?

I've read, re-read, and serched exhaustively. I know that everyone has their own opinion but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I have a new 2011 JKU automatic w the stock 17" wheels and tires. I don't plan on replacing wheels / tires until the tires are no longer servicible. I commute 30 miles each way in DFW traffic but am actually enjoying the 19mpg I'm getting (came from an expedition so this MPG is wonderful!)

When I'm not driving to work, I'm either going out to the lake with my family or camping. I occassionally tow a ~2800 lb camper. I don't really plan to do any serious off-roading but who knows? I would say that at most my offroad usage would only be 5% ever.

I want to get (largely for asthetic purposes) a 2-2.5" lift. I'm open to a BB or a coil lift with either shocks or extenders. I am willing to put about $500-$1k in to this and while I could probably install it myself, I'd rather not screw with it. I also don't want to spend too much since (as appears to normally be the case) I'm sure I'll want something bigger / better later on down the road after I get a good sense for what all this thing can handle.

It seems that local shops have a WIDE disparity in pricing. What I've found to be 'reasonable' so far locally (parts + install)
2.5" rough country coils with shocks (but nothing else), $575 out the door
3" zone coils with shocks and brake line relocate, rear track bar bracket and some other part for the rear that I forget plus an allignment, $775 out the door.
Rubicon express 2" BB with monotube shocks and allignment, $1k out the door.

The shop selling the zone kit will install anthing else that I can find online for $250.

If it was your money and your rig, what would you do??
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

$260 AEV 2" BB
$320 Bilstein 5100's
$250 install price you were quoted

$830 Total
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JaminJ
Old man Emu HD Lift

For what your doing I think that is a great lift that would fit your needs and give you a great ride
$880 will get this to your front door with front and rear adjustable trackbars from Northridge but to stay under a grand, you will need to do the install.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call northridge up and tell them what your using your jeep for. They will send you in the right direction
Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

TeraFlex make a great lift just for your needs. 2.5" coil lift with shocks is $770.00. I have personally helped installing two of these and I'll tell you the people that have them are very well pleased. This kit handles great on road as well as performs great offroad. They do offer the kit without shocks as well. And this kit is something you can install with some help and basic tools.
http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-2-5-lift-kit.html

Get a hold of Joe, he can answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Absolute; 02-28-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

As you can see, everyone is throwing out names other than zone and rough country. Take that as you will.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Install yourself and use the $250 on other goodies
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Atch
Install yourself and use the $250 on other goodies
X2

Understanding the mechanics of your suspension is very valuable knowledge to have.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Rough country 2.5 coil lift with their 2.2 shocks. And yes put it on yourself. Couple of jack stands, jack, and few wrenches and you are set.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcoop
Rough country 2.5 coil lift with their 2.2 shocks. And yes put it on yourself. Couple of jack stands, jack, and few wrenches and you are set.
Rough Country = poop

Quick Reply: which lift?