Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift ideas for an 07 jku

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most shocks are listed for lift heights which is not the best to go by. Is say a good 10-11" shock. You can run longer if set up for it.
Check out the Rancho 9000's. They are adjustable and a great overall shock. Rancho is doing their rebate thing. Check forum venders for pricing. X4 will be around $250 after rebate.
29xl and 30xl will work fine.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Most shocks are listed for lift heights which is not the best to go by. Is say a good 10-11" shock. You can run longer if set up for it. Check out the Rancho 9000's. They are adjustable and a great overall shock. Rancho is doing their rebate thing. Check forum venders for pricing. X4 will be around $250 after rebate. 29xl and 30xl will work fine.
Thanks for the info., what about skyjacker? Their prices are CHEAP but what about quality
Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bantici
... Like I said I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions
As you're seeing, Dirtman is pretty darned smart about lifts and suspensions. He's a great asset to this forum. I am surprised he hasn't mentioned something to you yet (maybe he figures you'll come across it in the sticky he referred you to). You wrote earlier (combining thoughts in two different posts) that you want coil spacers so you can get more ground clearance. A little more lift will slightly improve approach and departure angles. It will not, however, improve ground clearance. Tires improve that. Select tires for the ground clearance and terrain you want, then select the minimum lift to clear those tires. All of this is in the sticky. So, if you haven't studied it yet, you really should.

BTW: When some dude in a lifted-to-the-sky pick-up stops next to you at a red light, chuckle to yourself as you look up at him, because unless he's running insanely huge tires, he probably has no more ground clearance and almost certainly less articulation than you, all while throwing his COG all out of whack, making the vehicle more prone to rollover. Be kind: He's probably deluded into equating height with off-road performance.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bantici
Thanks for the info., what about skyjacker? Their prices are CHEAP but what about quality
The new mono tube is getting decent reviews. I ran Skyjacker hydro's on my past TJ for 6-8 years and they did well.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
As you're seeing, Dirtman is pretty darned smart about lifts and suspensions. He's a great asset to this forum. I am surprised he hasn't mentioned something to you yet (maybe he figures you'll come across it in the sticky he referred you to). You wrote earlier (combining thoughts in two different posts) that you want coil spacers so you can get more ground clearance. A little more lift will slightly improve approach and departure angles. It will not, however, improve ground clearance. Tires improve that. Select tires for the ground clearance and terrain you want, then select the minimum lift to clear those tires. All of this is in the sticky. So, if you haven't studied it yet, you really should. BTW: When some dude in a lifted-to-the-sky pick-up stops next to you at a red light, chuckle to yourself as you look up at him, because unless he's running insanely huge tires, he probably has no more ground clearance and almost certainly less articulation than you, all while throwing his COG all out of whack, making the vehicle more prone to rollover. Be kind: He's probably deluded into equating height with off-road performance.
.. Thanks.. I understand about tires/ground clearance.. Makes perfect sense.. When I said ground clearance I was actually referring to just getting the body/frame higher off the ground for approach and departure angles.. NOW About the guy with the massive truck..... I like your style he onlyTHINKS he is higher than i
Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...shocks-294737/
This is a write up I did on another forum and cut and pasted it here so the photos are broken but you might give this a good read. I see the link is broken in my thoughts thread.

Quick Reply: lift ideas for an 07 jku