Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit installed...accident waiting to happen

Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the rough country lift and get a proper 2.5 inch lift lol
Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Zander10893
Alright so for starters, I ordered a geometry correction bracket last night so that'll be my first ditch effort in fixing the issue. If that doesn't work, Rough Country will be hearing from me and they will be sending me a new kit with smaller coils. Lesson learned here: you get what you pay for.
You already have cams installed. ADJUST THEM to correct the caster issue. (you paid for an alignment, they should have done this at the time)

Maybe the lesson learned is to spend a little time on homework so you know what the components actually do...
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a smart phone? Put on an angle finder app and lay phone on top of the upper ball joint and read your caster. It should match the alignment sheet if jeep is parked level. Then adjust the cam bolts to get 4-4.5 degrees caster. That will fix a lot of your issues.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Is the trackbar and the drag link on the same parallel plane?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's several threads on here in which the OPs spent tons of $$ trying to fix the ride issues. U would be much better off scraping that lift and buying a premium lift kit. Take it as a $500 lesson.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR
Is the trackbar and the drag link on the same parallel plane?
Yes, they appear to be positioned as they should be.

I will be sure to keep everyone updated with the situation when the correction brackets get here. I also ordered an adjustable front track bar to put on too..so fingers crossed. On a side note, after taking out my control arms, I found that when the lift was installed, the cam bolts were not properly emphasized. The cam bolts were used but the slots were not drilled out of the stock hole for the lower control arm. I'm still opting to use the correction brackets though because I like the other benefits that they offer. If the caster is still off after that (which I'm hoping it isn't), then I'll turn to the cam bolts for further correction.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Rough Country lift and bought the AEV geometry correction brackets. It changed everything and improved ride and control back to stock.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Zander10893
On a side note, after taking out my control arms, I found that when the lift was installed, the cam bolts were not properly emphasized.
So that is why the caster was low and it drove like crap. Who'da thunk it.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
Is the "chalk test" the best way to determine that psi sweet spot?
It's what I did. I think it's the best way to determine a true and proper PSI.

I think you are learning a lesson that a lot of Jeepers do when they decide to lift their Jeep. I think you are realizing you bought something in haste, or based on someone else's recommendation, and not on your own detailed research. I spent a full year, believe it or not, trying to figure out what lift I wanted for my Jeep. I compared them all. And price was one of the comparisons.

You might find that what you bought is not what you really want and might have to start over. It sucks, but you might end up throwing more money at a cheap lift than it is worth. :( However, it may be, that you might be able to get things where you're happy with it, depending on what you do with it. I knew I wanted to crawl rocks and I knew the stock control arms and such just weren't going to take the abuse I was likely to hand them. Rock Krawler was the best choice for me. YMMV.

Good luck!

P.S. Just be prepared to empty another pocket.

J - Just
E - Empty
E - Every
P - Pocket
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line is the lift did not come with adjustable front LCA's and a Adjustable front track bar. when lifting 4" you need them. Anyone with half a brain knows this.

Quick Reply: Lift kit installed...accident waiting to happen