JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Lift Kit for Looks Only (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/lift-kit-looks-only-321559/)

O||||||O 05-11-2015 12:06 PM

Lift Kit for Looks Only

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All! I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to Jeeps. Members of my family have always had Jeeps and I've helped work on them, but this is the first time I've owned one myself. I have a 14 Rubicon JKU 4 door with only 12,000 miles. Spacer lift, 35" trail grapplers, N-Fab steps and Bushwacker flat fenders. Bumpers and wheels are coming soon!

Anyways, I am not happy with my current spacer lift kit. It was already on the Jeep when I bought it. The Jeep tends to "wander" while doing 60mph+

I've read through the lift kit sticky here on the forum and learned a lot about lifts that I didn't know. I've also read about other people have somewhat of the same issue as I am. Some people commented saying that adjustable control arms, rear adjustable traction bar could help solve the problem. Some people also saying too much air pressure in the tires when running 35's on stock wheels (which I am). And some people saying it's the type of lift. IMO I think it's all three for my situation.

So with that being said, I am looking for a new lift. Not just a spacer lift. And my goal for this lift is for looks; road driving ONLY. I do very little to zero off roading in my Jeep. I'm actually not for sure what size spacer lift I have but I would like to stay about the same height. The reason I'm wanting to get a new lift is to hopefully correct the "wandering" and for it to overall ride better on the highway.

So if money wasn't an option; then what would be your recommendation for a lift?

Picture of my Jeep:
Attachment 610248

DunnyBunny 05-11-2015 12:24 PM

Welcome to the forum. Maybe consider just getting lower control arms or some control arm drop brackets to adjust the caster. This will likely fix your situation. But if your not set on that then look at the RK 1.5" lift, or the AEV lift. You look around 2.5" of lift right now. People who have the AEV rave about the on road ride quality so that may be a better option for you and since money isn't a concern then maybe look at them because they are a little higher.

O||||||O 05-11-2015 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny (Post 4097867)
Welcome to the forum. Maybe consider just getting lower control arms or some control arm drop brackets to adjust the caster. This will likely fix your situation. But if your not set on that then look at the RK 1.5" lift, or the AEV lift. You look around 2.5" of lift right now. People who have the AEV rave about the on road ride quality so that may be a better option for you and since money isn't a concern then maybe look at them because they are a little higher.

I have noticed a lot of people running and liking AEV lifts. I'll do some research on them and I'll look into lower control arms as well.

Invest2m4 05-11-2015 12:47 PM

I second the idea of keeping what you have and adding front lower control arms or the AEV correction brackets. Your issue is likely due to low caster. If you get a suspension lift, there is a high probability that it won't ride as nice and that you have additional issues that will have to be dealt with - especially because most lifts give more than the advertised lift. Keep it simple and you'll be happy.

Might also check the toe on the front axle. That also could be the cause of the wander. It most definitely is not due to the lift components though.

BlackRockBurner 05-11-2015 12:48 PM

Why drop a thousandish on springs when all you need is to fix your caster? Adjustable lower control arms or drop brackets are all you need. Get caster angle above 4 and below 6. Your building your jeep for street so a spring lift is overkill.

nthinuf 05-11-2015 01:06 PM

Find a shop that does free alignment checks, have them throw it on the rack and print out the 'before' specs. Leave when try to tell you that you should let them do a bunch of other work.

Post the specs. Then listen to everyone telling you that your caster is low and you need the arms/brackets that all the people above me have suggested.

If you decide to dump money into a coil lift, get a handle on this :

this lift is for looks; road driving ONLY. I do very little to zero off roading in my Jeep
When you lift, angles and handling change. You want to fix those things for ONROAD driving. So if your new coil lift does not include the arms/brackets that people are telling you to get for your current spacer lift, guess what? ...

rubicon-rangler 05-11-2015 02:11 PM

I have a spacer lift and at 80mph on the highway it drives better than stock...

Amazon.com: Rancho RS6250B Control Arm correction Bracket - Pair: Automotive

and Amazon.com: JKS OGS121 Front Adjustable HD Track Bar for Jeep JK: Automotive

are really the only extra parts I installed {besides the c gussets, which I dont think make a ride difference}....

I would start with the rancho bracket, it took me 20 minutes to install them, I think it was 10mm, 21, 22, and 18mm sockets and wrenches. I can't see a shop charging more than $75 to install them. So for a couple hundred bucks its worth a try IMO...

How are your tires wearing? is the alignment good? Tire psi?

Rock Krawler Suspension 05-11-2015 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by O||||||O (Post 4097866)
Hello All! I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to Jeeps. Members of my family have always had Jeeps and I've helped work on them, but this is the first time I've owned one myself. I have a 14 Rubicon JKU 4 door with only 12,000 miles. Spacer lift, 35" trail grapplers, N-Fab steps and Bushwacker flat fenders. Bumpers and wheels are coming soon!

Anyways, I am not happy with my current spacer lift kit. It was already on the Jeep when I bought it. The Jeep tends to "wander" while doing 60mph+

I've read through the lift kit sticky here on the forum and learned a lot about lifts that I didn't know. I've also read about other people have somewhat of the same issue as I am. Some people commented saying that adjustable control arms, rear adjustable traction bar could help solve the problem. Some people also saying too much air pressure in the tires when running 35's on stock wheels (which I am). And some people saying it's the type of lift. IMO I think it's all three for my situation.

So with that being said, I am looking for a new lift. Not just a spacer lift. And my goal for this lift is for looks; road driving ONLY. I do very little to zero off roading in my Jeep. I'm actually not for sure what size spacer lift I have but I would like to stay about the same height. The reason I'm wanting to get a new lift is to hopefully correct the "wandering" and for it to overall ride better on the highway.

So if money wasn't an option; then what would be your recommendation for a lift?

Picture of my Jeep:
Attachment 610248

Sounds like its light on caster like others here have said. You can correct it with an adjustable control arm or a relocation bracket if you wanted to. You could of course do a small coil lift if you choose to, a triple rate coil will ride better on road and give you more travel offered then a spacer and factory coil if you ever decided to play around offered.

RK

TheDirtman 05-12-2015 05:32 AM

The height is causing you the issues not the type of lift. Without knowing what you have currently the things to look at are caster like many have said, tire pressure like you said, and I would look at your track bars. Your axles are likely not tracking in the same plane and may cause the wandering you are describing. A front adjustable track bar will allow you to center the front and raising the rear axle track bar bracket by the same amount as the budget boost will re center the rear axle and increase roll center making it more stable on the road and in cornering.
Several companies make drop brackets for the front control arms and will be the best solution for ride. Just buying another lift that does not address these issues will not give you the ride you are looking for.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the fix.

O||||||O 05-12-2015 06:14 AM

Thank you all very much for the helpful information! I think I'm going to start off with some drop brackets. I should be getting some wheels soon so hopefully I can install everything at the same time, adjust tire pressure and get an alignment done :thumbsup: