Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kit spring rates?

Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit spring rates?

I've read good things about the Full Traction lift kits (I have my eye on the 3" suspension lift in particular). One thing I was wondering: I don't see spring rates published for the various kits. The Skyjacker kit talks about something like "soft ride" springs, which sounds good to me -- I think I want something soft so I don't throw my back out on the freeway. Is there any way to compare these? Can anyone comment on the spring rates available for the various kits and how they affect ride?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Although I've never run a Skyjacker lift before, I'm typically leary of any lift kit that says something to the effect that it's a "soft ride" kit. In my experience, that's code word for coils that'll sag big time when loaded up with passengers/gear or sometimes even just a hard top on.

We are talking about coils here and not leaf springs and most coils will deliver a decent if not good ride. This is of course assuming the geometry of your suspension has been altered too much (wouldn't be the case with a 3" lift) and that the shocks you are running are good. I would recommend staying away from hydro shocks or basic kit shocks that come with most kits. If ride quality is important to you, spend the money on a set that'll give it to you
Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I would recommend staying away from hydro shocks or basic kit shocks that come with most kits. If ride quality is important to you, spend the money on a set that'll give it to you
How would the Nitro shocks that are included with that Full Traction kit compare to the factory shocks? Are the factory ones more comparable to the Hydro or Nitro ones?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
How would the Nitro shocks that are included with that Full Traction kit compare to the factory shocks? Are the factory ones more comparable to the Hydro or Nitro ones?
Depends on if you get a Rubi or not. I'm pretty sure that the X and Sahara only come with a low pressure gas charged shock while the Rubi comes with a monotube high pressure gas charged shock. And, since the M-Force shocks are high pressure monotubes too, I would have to say that it would be comparable to these.

I'll tell you one thing, I have driven an X, Sahara and a Rubicon and can say that the ride quality on the Rubi was the best. Also, of all the shocks I have run over the years, the only ones that I have REALLY liked were Walker Evans (which cost a small fortune) and the M-Force.

Quick Reply: Lift kit spring rates?