Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIft kits in stock and who has them?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sticking with a suspension lift, I have done one body lift on a Nissan and said I will never do that again. 3" with 35's is the way to go for now.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big M
I don't see body lifts as a last resort for those on a budget. This thread was leaning toward the budget style lifts and a body lift (~$200) definately fits into that catagory. Agreed that some body lifts are not very appealing aesthetically, but they are an excellent way to add more tire clearance. True ground clearance should be measured at the axle. A 37" tire will give more axle clearance then a 35". In the Jeep world the benefit can be to gain the extra clearance while keeping the CG lower compared to gaining the same amount of lift with all suspension.

I am not saying everyone should go out and buy a body lift but it is still reasonable option. Just like suspension lifts, body lifts have come a long way in the last few years. They are just blocks and bolts anymore.
Don't get me wrong, one of the very first lift I had on my TJ was a combination of a 2" Budget Boost and 1" Body Lift so that I could run 32's. But, at least for me, doing it this way was a lift of last resort. Believe me, if I could have afforded it, I would have just gone with a real suspension lift from the get go.

While a body lift will allow you to install bigger tires, which will ultimately give you more axle clearance, it'll do nothing for you in terms of axle articulation and overall performance on the trail. And, depending on the kind of wheeling you do, maybe that's fine. But if I had to choose between a 2" budget boost and a 2" body lift, I'd personally have to go with the budget boost.

Just my 2¢
Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

i see an intresting point in this. i have a 3" suspension lift on order to clear my 35" tires with no problems. but in the future if i ever wish to up to 37"s the body lift would enable me to do so correct? while maintaining my current 3" lift geomeotry. and still enable me to avoid the extra cost of changing axles and such. with the exception of gears of course. so from a cost point of view. it seems ideal! more so to the non-hardcore wheelers out there that aren't climbing huge rock faces and such.

4" lifts run in the $1,000+ zone where a 3" and 1" body lift would be much more affordable. still clear same tires and in all honesty i could live without that extra 1" of suspension travel. the axle clearance seems more important.

just my observation

Last edited by xravn; 12-05-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

xravn, you are correct on your theory. One thing to note also is that just because you go up 1" in lift doesn't always mean you get 1" additional wheel travel. Ultimately, wheel travel is dictated by bump stop position and shock length. These will vary slightly from lift to lift. Technical, if it is set up right, you could get comparable wheel travel for a 3" and 4" kit.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked out the link. Over $200 for a body lift?!? Ouch!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Smile

Body lifts NOT!!!!! a 1 inch is ok in combination with a suspension lift. Theproblems with body lifts are your tranny and transfer case may not shift properly, this has been what I have seen. anyway you will regret getting anything greater than a 1 inch body lift. Papabear PS: Save your money and get a decent 2.5 inch buget lift if money is a problem or you are on a tight budget.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree any body lift over 1.25" is to big and wil lcause problems and also look like crap IMHO.

And BDS would not be my first choice for jeep products.

David
Old 12-06-2006, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

What is wrong with BDS stuff? I have used a lot of their stuff and never had a problem....plus can't beat the warranty.

Have you used their stuff before? Who do you suggest?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

BDS is good..
but...

Full Traction > BDS
Old 12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is wrong with BDS stuff? I have used a lot of their stuff and never had a problem
A part of me thinks you work for BDS. Do you ?

plus can't beat the warranty.
Sure you can. BDS makes all of the stuff way to thick ie. the leaf springs . Which makes them ride like crap in my opinion.

Who do you suggest?
I suggest FT, RE and Nth. I have a pretty good source that told me BDS had a FT long arm kit in there shop and were copying it!

Quick Reply: LIft kits in stock and who has them?