Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift and wheels

Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and wheels

Hey y'all, just bought my 1st Jk a month ago. Got unlimited sport S. I'm looking for cost efficient way to lift it up and get 35" tires. Can I fit 35" tires on my stock 17x7.5 wheel? Do body lift kits work? Looking at used wheels and tires for $1200. Looking to keep under $2000 for parts and labor. Any help please
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

'Thought On Lifts' and FAQ's, stuck right to the top of this modified area...

Yes, you can fit 35's on stock rims, but you will want a set of wheel spacers to move them out and give clearance. (spidertrax type, with two sets of bolts. Not the thin ones that sandwich in between).

A simple 2.5" budget boost or 2" leveling kit will be fine, especially if you are willing to trim, bumpstop, chop your fenders or go to flats, whatever might be needed. Some people run 35's with no lift and flat fenders. Read up on the options and opinions.

Yes, body lifts work fine to give clearance for bigger tires. But, you will get a bunch of people saying "don't do it!!!!!" simply because it is not a suspension lift. I ran one for a year or so until I went to a taller lift. No issues at all.

Have you considered installing the lift yourself? That way you could step up to a better lift and stay in your budget. (people here will shoot down all of your objections, so think about the answer before you give it ... )
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can.
body lifts do what they are designed to do.
There are a million ways to do what you want to do. Is your budget of $2k including the tires?
Check the link in my signature.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

If only I had a lift I would definitely do it myself. I would love to go 4 inch lift but need to find something to jack it up
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

(people here will shoot down all of your objections, so think about the answer before you give it ... )
Did you actually read that? You don't need a big shop lift to have your jeep 5 feet in the air. People are installing these kits with the stock scissor jack that is sitting in the back of your JK. (Not the best option, but it has been done.) Running to Harbor Freight and buying a floor jack and a set of stands, and even a complete set of tools, would likely be a hell of a lot less expensive than paying shop labor.

But, "I've never installed a lift before, I have no idea what to do!" There are a bunch of youtube videos and how-to write-ups that show step by step installs. And there is always someone here to answer questions if/when you get stuck on something.

You could also touch base with your local jeep/4x4 clubs. There are a lot of people willing to lend a hand, and many will have a garage and tools if you need them. You could even go down to the Staging Area and throw a post in the subforum for you area.

Then again, if you simply don't want to install yourself, that is fine. That's why you have a job, so you can afford to pay the hourly rates.

Oh, and my comment on stepping up to a better lift was not an attempt to talk you into a taller lift. It was about doing the labor yourself to free up money so you can get coils instead of spacers. Or adj arms instead of cams. Or new rims instead of wheel spacers. Or ...

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-10-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

I got you. I talked to a few people around here and I think I'm going to do it myself. I'm going with a 3.25 suspension lift with new springs. Freaking shop wanted $600 just for install. Screw that. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Oh no, not another RC kit.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lift and wheels