Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I need to do for a 5.5 in lift kit?

Old 07-09-2016, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do for a 5.5 in lift kit?

So I have been thinking for a while about changing lifts. I am currently running a 3.25 in rough country on 35s. I plan on going with 37s and i know they will fit under my current setup as i have flat fenders, but I live in florida and most of my off roading has deep water crossings and lots of mud. just went out the other day to pull out a friends truck that had been under water all night and one of the holes was so deep the water hit my windshield... so... what all would i need to do to my jeep to get it ready for that kind of lift? I have a 2013 JKU sport with 3.73 gears, Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	651917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	651918
Old 07-09-2016, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is assuming you already have some type of caster correction, and some type of drive shaft modification?

Without either one of those to start, bleak.

Other hand, buy the 37s first, and then decide.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

The water got to your windshield....and it didn't get in the air intake....you sir need to go buy a lottery ticket! You will need longer drive shafts, high steer, drag flip, brake lines, and I would look at lengthening your breather tubes on your axles as well. I bet your diff fluid looks a little brown....
Old 07-09-2016, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
. Other hand, buy the 37s first, and then decide.
100% agree
Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pthorpe84
The water got to your windshield....and it didn't get in the air intake....you sir need to go buy a lottery ticket! You will need longer drive shafts, high steer, drag flip, brake lines, and I would look at lengthening your breather tubes on your axles as well. I bet your diff fluid looks a little brown....
Yea I know.... I ended up having to tow my buddies truck a few miles of nasty trails. Ended up blowing my transmission but didn't get stuck... Took it to the dealer to get a diognostics run and they said I still had a 100,000 mile warentee as long as I let them swap my diff fluids. Soo those are good.

I'm actually running real low on tread so I was planning on getting the 37s first. I was hoping to start piecing together the parts I need. Don't have a new drive shaft yet. That was next on the list. Anyone particular y'all would recommend? I don't need top of the line
Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ajh818
Yea I know.... I ended up having to tow my buddies truck a few miles of nasty trails. Ended up blowing my transmission but didn't get stuck... Took it to the dealer to get a diognostics run and they said I still had a 100,000 mile warentee as long as I let them swap my diff fluids. Soo those are good. I'm actually running real low on tread so I was planning on getting the 37s first. I was hoping to start piecing together the parts I need. Don't have a new drive shaft yet. That was next on the list. Anyone particular y'all would recommend? I don't need top of the line
I have had no trouble with Adams front and rear.

Also have control arms, what are your thoughts on caster? Brackets? Arms?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Buy a cheap beater and leave the expensive JK alone?

Which 5.5" lift kit? Post a link to it, or list all of the specific components.

Read a bunch of threads on axle strengthening, and gearing, and aftermarket driveshafts, and maybe even a few on hydro steering. As mentioned, extended breather lines would be a good idea, and a snorkle?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

That extra 2" is going to keep you out of all the deep water? The reasoning makes no sense.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

How about contacting poison spider to see if they can sell you a similar lift to their SEMA 13 build. It should be high enough for you.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
How about contacting poison spider to see if they can sell you a similar lift to their SEMA 13 build. It should be high enough for you.

^^lol

Also, I'm not seeing hardly ANY PS components on there. Odd that there's a PS watermark.

Quick Reply: What do I need to do for a 5.5 in lift kit?