Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which lifts is best?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lifts is best?

looking to lift my 11 jk either 2"-3" just enough to fit up to a 35" tire.

Now I was gona go with the mopar kit to keep it under warranty but hear aftermarkets one are better for cheaper... I was looking at BDS an Pro Comp kits.. Can anyone help with suggestion and/or if you have either one of these can you tell me how you like them and how they handle on and off road..

My jk is my DD but I go wheeling every weekend so Id rather have performave than comfort.. Also I have stock 3.21 gears in it now would an could thoes gears handle the lift with bigger tires?

Thanks guys
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Now I was gona go with the mopar kit to keep it under warranty
That would be an incorrect assumption.

Do a title only search, in the Modified area, for "best lift". You will find that there is no such thing as 'best', just best for a particular person for their particular budget and needs. OME HD, OME long travel, TeraFlex 2.5", Rough Country 2.5", Rock Krawler 2.5", etc, are all very popular. ProComp, not so much. Lots of threads to read through, just do some creative searching.

Then do another title only search, modified area, for "3.21's". You will find that people are running them with larger tires with no issues, but no one is really happy with the performance.

I would also suggest opening up the FAQ's (stickied right at the top of this Modified area) and spending some time reading. Be sure to do lots of research, and ask lots of questions, before jumping on a post that sounds good and running out to buy a lift.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Im looking to spend right around 1500 for the kit but that with new shock trac bar stablizer everthing not looking to long arm it just yet dont have the fund to do that just want something that will do a good job on hills mud an rocky situations.

As far as the 3.21 I think its worth replacing them dont wana go to low i was think in between 3.73 and 4.10 just due to it being my DD. I can do all the work my self so the labor isnt a issues for me
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

You can find a decent 2 to 3 inch lift for $1500. Just depends on what you like. As far as gears if you can do the labor then you should look for a used set here. Not positive but I think the sahara with tow package had 4.10's.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

6spd with 35's, start considering 4.88's, or 4.56 minimum. Anything lower (numerically) would be a waste of your time and money. Check the RPM charts in the drivetrain section of the faq's, and any of the multitude of gearing threads for more info.

You will also find a recommended component list in the lift section. While not 'needed', trackbar brackets or adjustable trackbars are good at that height, and some form of caster correction would be a big plus. You will want to keep your swaybars level, so longer links. And your brakelines will be stretched, so longer lines or brackets. Bumpstops are nice for keeping the new tires from ripping your fenders off. And also note the caustions on driveshafts, as people are losing the rzeppas with as little as 2.5" of lift.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

so 3.73 - 4.10 would be fine for running 33"-33.5" tires.. Also its recommend to adjust the trc bar and all the front end compents with a lift as little as a 2.5" along with the angle of the drive shaft?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

I will be putting a lift on shortly just seeing what all would need to be done to get the best performance out of my JK also not damnaging anything with of course the occisional off road damage but that to be expected so
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mook8651
so 3.73 - 4.10 would be fine for running 33"-33.5" tires.. Also its recommend to adjust the trc bar and all the front end compents with a lift as little as a 2.5" along with the angle of the drive shaft?
Your initial post indicated 35's, not 33's.

Expect most 2.5" coils to give 3", or even a bit more. (I got a bit more than 3.25" from my ome 2" coils, TF 2.5" coils are known to give 3", etc). And you could expect 4" from many 3" coils. As indicated above, none of those components are 'needed', you can run a 6+ inch lift with all stock components if you choose to, just don't expect it to handle like anything but crap. Figure out what they all do, and decide at what height you will want them.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info man. Im prob gona runn a 33.5" tires but will want it to still handle like stock so will be changing compents up font to accomidate for the lift an tires.

If you have any suggestions on what to change to keep that Id appericate it or should i just upgrade all the stering componets?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

You may want to consider a Full Traction SRS lift. I love mine

Quick Reply: which lifts is best?