Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Light bar woes..

Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light bar woes..

So, I have the MBRP light bar. But i don't have my stock bumper anymore, it was destroyed a long time ago on the second day I had it in December of 09.
It's been replaced by the Expedition One DX front with side wings.
Now when i bought the light bar I knew that there might be some issues, but my biggest concern was how high up it was going to sit. I'm going to have the brackets cut down and re-welded to make it sit much, much lower. That, however is not my problem. The problem I've run into is that where my bumper mounts on the inside of the frame rails up front, and where the light bar's mounting brackets seat, is one in the same. There's just no room for both.
My question is this - What should I do?

1. Ditch the brackets and have something custom fabricated?(That being said, are there any good fabrication shops here in the SD area?)

2. Cut the brackets up so they become spacers and just have everything welded together, just a little lower, straight to the frame.(I already thought about the not being able to easily remove it were something to happen to it as well as the fact that I'm modifying the frame.)

3. Chop the way the bumper mounts, slide the brackets in after having them shortened, and then bolt everything in?(would prefer not to modify the bumper.)

Here's some pics to help a little, although they are a little difficult to see.

This one is the light bar with the bracket i would have cut down and re-welded
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-26_16-50-10_760.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	282579

This is the bumper and how it is mounted.

Name:	2012-02-26_16-53-23_375.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	282580

The other side of the bumper.

Name:	2012-02-26_16-53-34_58.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	282581

The bumper from underneath and how that mounts.

Name:	2012-02-26_16-53-46_609.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	282582

The other piece of the light bar bracket.

Name:	2012-02-26_16-55-01_689.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	282583
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

I had a similar problem with my light bar as my tow bar was mounted to the required holes.

I ended up slotting one of holes in the light bracket and just loosened the other with another slot that could be used to bolt in place. When I put the light bar on, I had to drill out the holes to accept the new place b/c ithe brackets were slightly wider. Kept the bracket nut loose while I put the bar on then tightned once I had in place.

Came out good. Rugged ridge light bar though.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nailit
I had a similar problem with my light bar as my tow bar was mounted to the required holes.

I ended up slotting one of holes in the light bracket and just loosened the other with another slot that could be used to bolt in place. When I put the light bar on, I had to drill out the holes to accept the new place b/c ithe brackets were slightly wider. Kept the bracket nut loose while I put the bar on then tightned once I had in place.

Came out good. Rugged ridge light bar though.

Not sure I'm understanding here, how did you slot them?
Did you cut a part of the bracket out to fit around your tow bar?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

No more suggestions?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Correct! The bracket had 2 holes. I knotched 1 bolt completely ( cut a large hole in the bracket to fit over the upper mounting bolt b/c that one didn't line up)

The lower bracket hole, I slottd the hole so i only had to loosen the towbar lower bolt b/c the nut was in the frame (not easily access able) I slid bracket on the loosen bolt. Attached the light bar and tighened. Impact!!

See the pic.. 3 bolts are holding on the tow bar but hiding the actual mount holes for the light bar. Th e top left is completely knotched around the bolt. The lower is holding in place.

Name:	IMG00565-20120227-1955.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	282959

Sorry for crappy pic but I just took it! Hope it helps
Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nailit
Correct! The bracket had 2 holes. I knotched 1 bolt completely ( cut a large hole in the bracket to fit over the upper mounting bolt b/c that one didn't line up)

The lower bracket hole, I slottd the hole so i only had to loosen the towbar lower bolt b/c the nut was in the frame (not easily access able) I slid bracket on the loosen bolt. Attached the light bar and tighened. Impact!!

See the pic.. 3 bolts are holding on the tow bar but hiding the actual mount holes for the light bar. Th e top left is completely knotched around the bolt. The lower is holding in place.
Attachment 282959

Sorry for crappy pic but I just took it! Hope it helps
Ah, I understand now. Thinking how that might work but could see it being a PITA for the way the bumper is and the light bar bracket goes. I'd have to make a brand new whole in the frame and bracket if I were to do this.

It's now on my list of things to think about though.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Light bar woes..