Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking hood latch?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locking hood latch?

I have been looking into getting locking hood latches but the only ones I have seen for sale on all the sites are the rampage ones. Does anyone know of any others that would fit a 2013 jk?

My second option would be adding one of the locking latches that you unlock from the grill but I wanted to get new hood latches anyways so thought I would get a solution that takes care of both.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerca2
I have been looking into getting locking hood latches but the only ones I have seen for sale on all the sites are the rampage ones. Does anyone know of any others that would fit a 2013 jk?

My second option would be adding one of the locking latches that you unlock from the grill but I wanted to get new hood latches anyways so thought I would get a solution that takes care of both.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
We don't have any of the lcoking hood hold downs. But we do have the Rugged Ridge Lock Hood Latch. It's fairly inexpensive and you can then get whatever hold downs you'd like without worrying about them locking as well!

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

-Ryan
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
DJ1
Former Member

not to steal Ryan's thunder but the MOPAR hood latch (mounted through the grill) is tough to beat. Unit gets keyed to your ignition key = less keys to deal with.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DJ1
not to steal Ryan's thunder but the MOPAR hood latch (mounted through the grill) is tough to beat. Unit gets keyed to your ignition key = less keys to deal with.
That's a really nice feature. I don't know how much it runs, but for the convenience I would pay a premium.

You never have to worry about stealing my thunder. I always aim to give the best advice and recommendations I can, whether that is something we offer on the site or not!

-Ryan
Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rugged ridge lock is $20.

Mopar $169

Rampage locking latches $89

I do like the idea of the mopar one but $170 plus the $100 or so for new hood latches is a bit more than I was thinking.

Always have decisions when it comes to upgrading...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Millerca2
The rugged ridge lock is $20.

Mopar $169

Rampage locking latches $89

I do like the idea of the mopar one but $170 plus the $100 or so for new hood latches is a bit more than I was thinking.

Always have decisions when it comes to upgrading...
I bought the MOPAR unit for around $120 about a year ago. There's several of us that are running it as there was another thread on this sometime ago. Thought about getting upgraded hood latches but now I don't need em' unless I want to dress things up a little more.

Yeah you pay a premium though but for me buy once, cry once. You'll need a good, large rivet tool. I can't remember the size off the top of my head but typical rivet tools at HD or Lowes won't work. Bought a beefier one on Ebay. Good rivet tool is handy also for nutserts, etc. Nice to have around. Took me 15 mins to install.

Mopar Anti Theft Hood Latch Lock Kit for 07 14 Jeep Wrangler 82213051AB | eBay

Last edited by DJ1; 06-18-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by XTRyan
That's a really nice feature. I don't know how much it runs, but for the convenience I would pay a premium.

You never have to worry about stealing my thunder. I always aim to give the best advice and recommendations I can, whether that is something we offer on the site or not!

-Ryan
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Tuffy also makes one for ~$40, have it on my 14 JKU and it works well.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

I installed with Tuffy hood lock which works great. No hood flutter whatsoever. I prefer the separate key to keep service technicians out of my engine compartment when not warranted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3632942269.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	560675  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post I have the Tuffy hood lock as well....

Simple to install & well worth the peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Locking hood latch?