Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD Fullwidth bumper w/ tire carrier...

Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoD Fullwidth bumper w/ tire carrier...

So, I'm pretty much mind-set on the LoD signature series rear bumper with the gen3 tire carrier and backup lights.

Who hear runs this model/setup? Let me hear how much you love it! Cause out of all the reviews on rear bumpers & tire carriers that ive read, you don't really hear any negative things about the LoD as much as other brands.

Also, who hooked up their lights to the stock reverse wiring so they go on with the stock reverse lights as well? Not sure if I wanna have a seperate switch for em... or do you think they'll be too bright and overkill for reverse lights? Haha
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF
I have the shorty. Love it. Beefy as hell, clean, good lines, etc.

Hooked to reverse lights and a switch. Great for late night backing into the garage or for blinding assholes who think I am going too slow on the highway and flash their brights at me. Nice bright lights...here are mine! They back off relatively quickly .

I wouldn't have it any other way, best addition to the rear was those lights and that bumper. Do it brother.

It'll be a bitch getting on, but follow WOL's advice and slightly hit the frame rails. It'll slide right on/off for test fits.
Yea, I noticed there are a lot of steps for the installation but its pretty straight forward stuff... also read his write-up, it'll definitely help. I like your idea with the lights as well... did you run them in the roll cage or down on the floorboard? Its just your typical wiring install, right?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Yea, I noticed there are a lot of steps for the installation but its pretty straight forward stuff... also read his write-up, it'll definitely help. I like your idea with the lights as well... did you run them in the roll cage or down on the floorboard? Its just your typical wiring install, right?
Check out the Garvin bumper too.

http://www.wildernessracks.com/bumpe...system-jk.html
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installed the full width Gen 3 with tire carrier, fuel rack and light relocation. Goes on tight but fits well, An extra set of hands would go a long ways when installing. I used the forks on a front end loader which helped alot. Need to make sure the lights are good and tight with Loctite so there is no rattles with the light up against the bumper. You can not get to the lights once the bumper is installed. I wired the rear lights to a separate switch and installed a backup camera in the bumper below the reciever hitch. If I had it to do over again I would move the camaera to the side six inches so when the drop down hitch was in you could see the trailer tongue better.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by duneryder
I already did, but thanks... I like the LoD better, and its cheaper too!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 4wdave
Installed the full width Gen 3 with tire carrier, fuel rack and light relocation. Goes on tight but fits well, An extra set of hands would go a long ways when installing. I used the forks on a front end loader which helped alot. Need to make sure the lights are good and tight with Loctite so there is no rattles with the light up against the bumper. You can not get to the lights once the bumper is installed. I wired the rear lights to a separate switch and installed a backup camera in the bumper below the reciever hitch. If I had it to do over again I would move the camaera to the side six inches so when the drop down hitch was in you could see the trailer tongue better.
Yea, if I remember correctly I think I read they suggest using loctite to prevent any rattle. Hows the latch to lock the swing? Is it lockable? What about the tire itself as well? Besides using a locking lug nut, can you lock that too?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Yea, if I remember correctly I think I read they suggest using loctite to prevent any rattle. Hows the latch to lock the swing? Is it lockable? What about the tire itself as well? Besides using a locking lug nut, can you lock that too?
The latch is ajustable so it holds tight even in rough terrian. It does not have a lock on the tire carrier at the latch and you would need to use a locking lug nut and tack weld the back of the nuts on the three tire carrier bolts. I did fashion a lock for the Hi-lift Jack from a reciever hitch lock that goes through one of the holes in the jack rail.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ahve the shorty with linked tire swing. Love the linked system and it is solid. No rattles from the carrier at all. I ran my lights to a switch because you do not want these to come on every time you put it in reverse. You could blind people at the grocery store!. You only ahve to run one wire to the front and I ran mine along the frame rail up to the engine compartment, then through the firewall to the switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0006.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	284079Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0007.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	284080Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0004.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	284081Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0002.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	284082Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0008.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	284083
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Junkie

I actually just ran the rear lights off a relay tripped by the trailer tow harness. For the switch, I did the same. Ran wires along the floorboards under vehicle. I have a schematic at work I think if you'd like it...
If you can dig it up, sure - send it to me so I can take a look at it, thanks! Like the above member said, and what I was thinking as well in saying it might be overkill, I don't think I am going to have the lights come on with the reverse lights because from the pictures, they look BRIGHT AS HELL!

Is there any price difference in the stubby VS full width?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

I didn't think there was a price difference...cant remember now.

As for being overkill, they aren't aimed upwards so it wont blind people. They are similar to fog lights in the rear. Seeing out the back of my jeep with tinted Windows and that big ole tire is difficult so I really enjoy the added light. Really makes backing into/out of any location easier IMO.

However, its your rig and your build, so do what you'd like. I never want to force someone into things regarding their Jeep. Being individual and doing what you want is what makes modding a jeep so much fun
Well, I'm sorta on the fence about that particular setup - hooked up to the rears or just a switch. This is the exact reason why I started this thread and why this forum makes the world go round, haha...

So, when you put it like that, it makes good sense and is logical. I mean, the tire is gonna be in the way for the most part, my passenger side mirror view sucks balls since I have the Rugged Ridge relocation mounts, and for some reason, I am blind when it comes to certain things when driving, especially backing up! haha.... Yea, I admit - backin' my rig up is cumbersome at times, haha... so, with these bright ass lights to light it all up, it would only benefit my scenario.

Quick Reply: LoD Fullwidth bumper w/ tire carrier...