Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long term hard top removal for outdoor storage in the summer.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term hard top removal for outdoor storage in the summer.

So Im eagerly awaiting warmer tempatures here in GA so I can take off the top and leave it off for more than a few hours in the middle of the day. I only have a hard top though and no garage or car port to store the vehicle under. What I'd like to know is if anybody has a way figured out that is easy to wrap up the Jeep so if it rains at night my interior doesnt get soaked. What im thinking of doing is buying a tarp and throwing it over the top and just bungee cording it closed. That wont work in a heavy rain though. And I rent the house im staying in now so I cant do anything permanent to it like I'd love to. Soooo.... any ideas?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Silicone spray, 3 tarps, 4 cinder blocks, 4 2x4's at about 36", and some really long bungee cords. Pick as rainproof and windproof a spot as you can find.
1. Lay the blocks down long-wise, parallel to the hard top rails. You don't want the top sitting on the ground.
2. Put 2 of the 2x4's long-wise, flat on top of the blocks. You don't want the top sitting on blocks.
3. Lay down tarp.
4. Put top down on blocks, wrap up tarp.
5. Put other 2x4's down long-wise on top of tarp and hard top.
6. Put freedom panels down.
7. Cover with tarp and bungee cord it all to your liking.
8. Use tarp #3 for sudden rains until you get a soft top.
By wrapping the lower tarp under the upper tarp, you should be waterproof. By elevating the hard top, you should be safe from rot. By coating the seal under the hard top with silicone spray, you should preserve your seals. Also spray your seals on your jeep to keep them from drying out. You do not have to use 2x4's or cinder blocks, you just don't want your top sitting on the ground, nor do you want your freedom panels sitting on your hard top. Nor do you want them sitting on anything absorbent as moisture WILL get into the tarps. Occasionally unwrap to re-spray with silicone and check moisture.
Enjoy the toplessness.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

How about this?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10932

Last edited by Robar; 01-22-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
I have the best top cover for my jk and I just rented a storage unit to put my hard top in for summer. Climate controlled
Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by el mono
Silicone spray, 3 tarps, 4 cinder blocks, 4 2x4's at about 36", and some really long bungee cords. Pick as rainproof and windproof a spot as you can find.
1. Lay the blocks down long-wise, parallel to the hard top rails. You don't want the top sitting on the ground.
2. Put 2 of the 2x4's long-wise, flat on top of the blocks. You don't want the top sitting on blocks.
3. Lay down tarp.
By wrapping the lower tarp under the upper tarp, you should be waterproof. By elevating the hard top, you should be safe from rot. By coating the seal under the hard top with silicone spray, you should preserve your seals. Also spray your seals on your jeep to keep them from drying out. You do not have to use 2x4's or cinder blocks, you just don't want your top sitting on the ground, nor do you want your freedom panels sitting on your hard top. Nor do you want them sitting on anything absorbent as moisture WILL get into the tarps. Occasionally unwrap to re-spray with silicone and check moisture.
Enjoy the toplessness.
Thanks for the advice. I never would have thought of spraying the seals with silicone. This should work perfect for me because I already have 2x4's, cinder blocks and some tarps at the house. Now i just need to run out and get the silicone spray.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el mono
3. Lay down tarp.
Enjoy the toplessness.
What brand of silicon spray, were can I get it?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

This is what I use on everything, metal, rubber, plastic, cables, hoses, cereal, etc. DO NOT LET IT GET ON YOUR BRAKE DISCS OR PADS.

http://www.gunk.com/webassets/brochu...4_brochure.pdf

I get it at Advance Auto Parts. But you could probably get it anywhere.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

i only had a hardtop as well but picked up a used trektop for the summer time and just store my hardtop outside at my parents house until september or october.

Quick Reply: Long term hard top removal for outdoor storage in the summer.