Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking to replace my rear bumper...

Old 06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to turn this into a Rockhard vs. Expedition One debate, but the Exp 1 uses the factory holes for mounting and holds the tire close to the tailgate. Not sure about room for jerry cans though. Sorry, no pics up yet, but a search will turn up pics of a rescue green jk with an Exp 1 bumper. Good luck
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few additional comments (mainly repeating or expanding upon what others have said):

- The RockHard bolts on using existing frame holes. I don't remember having to drill at all.

- Yes, the tire is moved back quite a bit, but it needs to be if you wish to mount your highlift behind it.

I guess you just need to be certain about your priorities when buying a bumper. Are you buying just to hold a larger spare, for looks, or for offroad use. If you are buying for offroad use and need to ensure departure angles and the ability to carry offroad tools, RockHard is one of the best. If you are more interested in streetability, you probably should look elsewhere.

------
Paul
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Show & Tell section for lots of pics of the Expedition One rear bumper. The pics and the comments about the bumper sold me on it. I placed my order (I recommend calling over email), and they couldn't be nicer or more helpful. You did mention price, which is inline with the AEV front bumper, but the Expedition One's lines match up well with our JK. The Tire Mount opens as one unit with the rear tailgate (which was another feature I really liked). Also, you can get it bare and take care of the paint and powder coating yourself.

All in all, there are certainly many more budget friendly rear bumpers, but this one for me had the total package of looks and functionality. Plus it seems to go nicely with the AEV front bumper, and since they keep putting that on the back burner, I went with Exp One and will have it installed next week with everything else, minus my gears, unless by some small miracle my 5.13s come in ahead of schedule.

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my rear bumper...