Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose steering only when turning left?

Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose steering only when turning left?

Posted this on the stock forum with no responses, figured I'd throw it up here to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Background: 2012 JK 2DR Rubicon. I've had it for almost 14k miles, it has almost 50k miles on it total. It is lifted 2.5-3", 35" tires, synergy lower control arms, synergy drag link. It aligned out pretty well. I purchased it already lifted, it has had steering issues from day 1. It had a bad death wobble, cured when I replaced all the ball joints around 40k miles. Then I did the alignment with the new control arms and drag link. It runs straight, no issues with that.

Complaint: My problem has always been a really vague spot in the steering while turning left. As I turn from center to left, the steering wheel will turn a good 30 degrees all while feeling as through I'm just turning the wheel, nothing is happening up front. after that 30 degrees, everything is good and works normal. When straightening the wheel the same thing, once I get to that part around 30 degree to when the wheel is straight, its a dead spot. Turning right I never have an issue, only when turning left.
I've attempted to adjust the box, with really no difference. In the past I've had an 80 series land cruiser, the steering on it was "loose", but in the middle, it'd feel it a little left and right. Tightening the screw on the steering box solved that.

So... Do I need a new box? Is that what they do when they wear out? Everything else is tight up front. As mentioned, it's done it since I've had it and is my last issue with the thing. I'm just checking to see if this issue in particular is common.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You said during the first 30° to the left it feels like nothing is happening up front, but have you had someone turn the wheel while you look at the steering components to see what is going on up front?
Look for pitman arm position when the wheels and steering wheel are centered.
Turn the steering wheel to the locks left and right from straight and see if it's equal both ways.
Is the front axle centered? Does it move side to side when you turn the steering wheel?

Also, the screw you adjusted on the steering box should be adjusted with the box out of the vehicle and clamped in a vice. That's the only way you can know for sure if it has the correct preload.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-13-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the fault this weekend in case anyone else has this issue: The front track bar was loose on the frame side.

When i would turn left, it would shift the entire body over the axle a bit before actually turning the wheels. I took the bolt out (it felt tight), inspected the holes and bushing. Everything looked good, so i cleaned up the bolt and put it back together, making sure the bolt is tight. Everything is perfect now. Might go ahead and swap in some aftermarket bushings in the future, the stock ones are really mushy.

Quick Reply: Loose steering only when turning left?