Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Loud whistle from brakes?

Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud whistle from brakes?

I am having an intermittent tea pot whistle that comes from under the hood when the jeep is cold and I press the brakes. Sometimes it lasts for a split second and other times (captured in video) it lasts a long time. Anyone come across this before? It is driving me crazy. It never does it or lasts long enough for me to find the problem.

https://youtu.be/zpS6AXlcfxE
Old 03-12-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only thing i can think of would be vacume leak / pressure leak. what year is it. possibly the vaccume pump
Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have that on my 2013 JKUR. Seems to happen only when its cold outside, and when the Jeep is cold too. I can hold the brake pedal in a way to keep it going, or pass right through it. Sounds like its coming from the pedal itself to me and nothing to do with the actual brakes. I've tried lubricating the pedal mechanism. It that worked, it didn't last. Would love to find a solution to this. Subscribed.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

It is a 2012. The problem is every time I try to diagnose it, it never happens....
Old 03-12-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
I have that on my 2013 JKUR. Seems to happen only when its cold outside, and when the Jeep is cold too. I can hold the brake pedal in a way to keep it going, or pass right through it. Sounds like its coming from the pedal itself to me and nothing to do with the actual brakes. I've tried lubricating the pedal mechanism. It that worked, it didn't last. Would love to find a solution to this. Subscribed.
Mine is definitely coming from under the hood.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSlow
It is a 2012. The problem is every time I try to diagnose it, it never happens....
the 2012 and up use an extra vacume pump to assist with braking so it may have a leak causing the whistle when you apply the brakes.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKSlow
Mine is definitely coming from under the hood.
I'll pop the hood next time it happens and listen.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I had the exact same problem you described. It would only happen in cold weather. After a few trip to the dealer they were finally able to reproduce the problem. It turned out to be a vacuum leak from the brake booster. After the brake booster was replaced, I have not heard the noise again.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Picachojeep
I had the exact same problem you described. It would only happen in cold weather. After a few trip to the dealer they were finally able to reproduce the problem. It turned out to be a vacuum leak from the brake booster. After the brake booster was replaced, I have not heard the noise again.
The entire booster or one of the vacuum lines?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the same damn thing 2013 JKUR

Quick Reply: Loud whistle from brakes?