Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick09JK
Does anybody know if the hood insulator/liner or whatever it is attached to the bottom of the hood is necessary to have?
Nope some models never even came with one... I have an 09 JKU never had one
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if the hood insulator/liner or whatever it is attached to the bottom of the hood is necessary to have?
Nope. Ripped mine out almost 2 years ago. Many have also. I didn't notice a difference in hamd-to-hood heat, or engine sound. This way muddy water doesn't drip for 4 days after it rains or I go playing.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769

Nope. Ripped mine out almost 2 years ago. Many have also. I didn't notice a difference in hamd-to-hood heat, or engine sound. This way muddy water doesn't drip for 4 days after it rains or I go playing.
Yeah mine is literally falling off because of the muddy water soaked in it from today's fun.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

I had an 08 JKU it didn't come with the insulation and my 12 JK doesn't have it either.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does have some use for insulation but not necessary. My 07 did not have one from the factory.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

It's more in case there was an engine fire. If the engine caught on fire the clips holding it in melt, and the blanket would smother it. I believe the Sports don't have it, as mine doesn't, but the Saharas and Rubicons do.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
It's more in case there was an engine fire. If the engine caught on fire the clips holding it in melt, and the blanket would smother it. I believe the Sports don't have it, as mine doesn't, but the Saharas and Rubicons do.
Wow! Never knew the real purpose behind it other than insulation.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
This is more of an urban legend than anything. Several forums post that but, and I maybe wrong, I do not believe there is a single documented situation that supports the belief. On the L.O.S.T. Jeep forum one of the engineers from Jeep stated how it was added for noise dampening only. However that post was back around 2003 roughly.

It is also believed to help reduce engine heat or to let the engine warm up faster in cold climates. Whatever the reason most do not need it.

I have taken mine out of every vehicle I have owned, if it was there and on the majority it wasn't.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Xodius
This is more of an urban legend than anything. Several forums post that but, and I maybe wrong, I do not believe there is a single documented situation that supports the belief. On the L.O.S.T. Jeep forum one of the engineers from Jeep stated how it was added for noise dampening only. However that post was back around 2003 roughly.

It is also believed to help reduce engine heat or to let the engine warm up faster in cold climates. Whatever the reason most do not need it.

I have taken mine out of every vehicle I have owned, if it was there and on the majority it wasn't.
I was told by a trainer from Chrysler that it was designed to stop engine fires. Makes it more interesting to me as to why they don't include it on all trim levels.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

My 08 Sahara jku doesn't have it

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?