Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

Originally Posted by TheKid25
The garage door opener mod is one of my favorites. Before I had to keep in the console. Most people would never think to look there for the opener. I just blacked out the button with a sharpie and put it in there. There's a write-up for this mod, but it's pretty self explanatory.

[IMG][/IMG]
I like it...I'm so sick of my door opener flying off the visor every time I take my top off and having to dig it up from the floorboard! Doing it this weekend.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default nice idea

Originally Posted by gmuddy
Here's something that might help you with the winshield iceing up. I took about fifteen feet of 1/4 inch tubing and wrapped it around my radiator hose then spliced it into my washer fluid hose. What this does is, it heats heats up the waher fluid and sprays a warm steam of washer fluid onto the windshield. I've done this on a few vehicles in the past and have never had an issue with the windshield cracking, because you should already have the defroster on which has already taken the chill off the window and started to heat it up. The fluid will only become hot when the vehicle warms up. Doc, total cost $5, the after market kit runs about $150. The hose I used was from Lowes, in their yard sprinkler suplies. Works great. The longer the hose the more heated fluid you will have in reserve. This wont heat the fulid in the tank, as this is fluid that has already exited the tank.
Do you happen to have a picture of this mod?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the harley mears 12 dollars from ebay. I got some nylon washers from the hardware store so that when I tightened them down I could still rotate the arm.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Jeepdaddy
I'm wondering if I buy a set of 5 tires or keep the 32" to get me to where I need to go and repair the flat of my 35's?
I'm sticking with the 32" until I get my rear bumper built with a spare tire carrier. 35's are a lot of weight for those hindges. All though a matching spare tire looks way better if ya wanna risk the wear and tear on your hindges.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beachdweller
Did you use the spray can Plasti-Dip? Looks great. I was going to use the spray on bedliner, but I like the idea of being able to remove this if I ever get tired of it.
x2 -- the idea that it can be fairly easily removed in the future has me thinking now.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Oh i see well im just trying to find the cheepest way
I saw in a thread somewhere a while back (may have even been early in this one) that someone simply used a large inexpensive bicycle/motorcycle mirror that they simple dropped in to the hinge bracket when they had the doors off (left the factory on teh doors). Similar idea to teh American Outlaw mirror just cheaper. I'm starting to look for this simple & cheap solution as want to keep the factory mirrors in place for now, but wnat easy option for the occassions when they do come off.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bigf350sd;2900461]After playing around with where to mount my Mag-Light D cell flashlight, I ran across this thread WAYYY back near when it was started. I felt that mounting it to the seat mount, like several have done in this thread, would be a pain in my a$$, because it's very tight to get your hand down there to it when you have the doors closed, during winter riding, etc...and there's no way I could get it out to use, without opening the door. I decided to put my mounts up on the back side of the sound bar in my '07. I used 3-M heavy duty 2 sided tape as a "gasket" and then ran the screws in. Works great, and accessible ANY time, by anyone in the vehicle, front or back. It's been there about 6-7 months now, no problems.

I used this method in my truck for years and always liked it so that you can grab the light without having to open the door as you mentioned.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeamFaust
I saw in a thread somewhere a while back (may have even been early in this one) that someone simply used a large inexpensive bicycle/motorcycle mirror that they simple dropped in to the hinge bracket when they had the doors off (left the factory on teh doors). Similar idea to teh American Outlaw mirror just cheaper. I'm starting to look for this simple & cheap solution as want to keep the factory mirrors in place for now, but wnat easy option for the occassions when they do come off.
Lot's of folks use the Harley mirrors.. too small for me.

I used CJ mirrors mounted on the A-pillar
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Jeepdaddy

I'm wondering if I buy a set of 5 tires or keep the 32" to get me to where I need to go and repair the flat of my 35's?
I Am not sure about the new jeeps, but on most 4x4s you can't used 4 wheel drive if you have mixed size tires.

No big deal in town, but on the trail may be a problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it's an open diff it won't matter. An ARB or locker that can be disengaged to full open as well.

With a locker, limited slip, spool, or other fancy traction adder then no, you shouldn't have different sized tires on the axle.

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?