Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lubricating Control Arm Bushings

Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubricating Control Arm Bushings

My suspension has become pretty squeaky since having my lift installed. I've tracked down the squeaking in my suspension to a few different locations. One is the front-driver lower shock mount, one is the frame side bushing on the front-passenger LCA, and the other seems to be coming from the front drive-shaft slip joint (stock drive-shafts).

On the LCA, there's actually a zerk fitting to grease bushing, but its in a stupid location. No way to reach it without dropping one end of the control arm. So my question is, are there any issues with dropping one end of the LCA? Do I need to do anything to keep the axle from rotating, or the front spring from unseating? On the lower shock mount I'm thinking that i need to grease the shock bolt/pin with some synthetic or lithium grease. Still looking at the drive shaft for boot failure and such. Have about 7k miles on the jeep since the lift.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you are torqued to spec on those bolts, I would first hit them with silicone lube, let it penetrate overnight. Next, you can safely drop an lca. I would support the vehicle and get the weight off the axle.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Just drop one arm at a time. The hole might misalign a little. Have a helper push from the front of the tire.
White lithium spray works great I her. Fluid film is another great product for rust prevention and lubrication.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-28-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Funny how many times lift installers torque control arms while on the rack. I guess it's easier to access them in the air instead of sliding under after the Jeep is sitting on all 4s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131110_103845_812.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	577690
Old 09-28-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Funny how many times lift installers torque control arms while on the rack. I guess it's easier to access them in the air instead of sliding under after the Jeep is sitting on all 4s.

Attachment 577690
yes...hence, premature failure!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default a regular ratchet strap

will pull It back into place to get the bolt back in hook it on anywhere frame and axle
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Don't torque the bolts until the vehicle is weighted in the axles. Very common mistake.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks folks. Loosened and re-torqued the bolts. Not even sure the shop used a torque wrench. Some were stupid tight. Did make a difference, but will probably have to lightly grease everything anyway.

Checked the slip joint cover on the stock front driveshaft. No tears or signs of rubbing but the slip joint creaks. Any suggestions for that?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DirtDvl
Thanks folks. Loosened and re-torqued the bolts. Not even sure the shop used a torque wrench. Some were stupid tight. Did make a difference, but will probably have to lightly grease everything anyway. Checked the slip joint cover on the stock front driveshaft. No tears or signs of rubbing but the slip joint creaks. Any suggestions for that?
now, index their placement with a paint pen. Makes for easy inspection (visually) to see if the bolts have loosened. Saves you from putting a wrench to it unnecessarily.

Quick Reply: Lubricating Control Arm Bushings