Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lug Nuts Crossthreaded on Wheel Lugs?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pretty easy here is link to someone that typed it up, I've done it that way before also...if u need directions on how to remove caliper/rotor see wol write up for brake pad replacement, thats also very easy specially on the front
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ace+wheel+stud
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake caliper comes off easy. Just remove the 2 socket head screws from the back side of the caliper and it will slide off the rotor.
You will probably need to push the caliper piston in a little to get it loose, I usually just use a screwdriver and pry the caliper towards you against the rotor. Since you're not replacing the brakes you only need to pry it till its loose enough to move.
Then slide the caliper off and set it on top the upper ball joint. DON'T LET IT HANG BY THE HOSE.
There might be a clip over 1 or 2 of the studs. These are used at the factory to keep the rotors from falling off on the line. They usually break when you get them off anyway. Then just pull the rotor off.
Then studs are just pressed in from the back side, you shpould be able to knock the bad 1 out with a hammer.
I would invest in a torque wrench if I were you. Stock wheels are 95ft/lbs.
Sorry I don't have any pics. Too late to get them now.
Hope it helps.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the brake caliper, pads, rotors, etc. out of the way and hammered the bad stud out. Just need to pick up the new stud in the morning and I should be able to hit the trails by 10:00am.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WD 40 is so old school. PBlaster is the way to go.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
x2. WD40 was designed to displace water. It does that OK, but as far as a lubricant or a rust remover, or liquid wrench it is about as handy as a bottle of diet coke on whatever you are working on IMO. That is a chore for PB Blaster I think. Go get a can and you will never look back.

btw, who did that fine crossthread job? I would crossthread my foot in there lugnutts if they did not repair the mistake they made.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Hey Redneck I always remember my dad having PB Blaster when I was a kid, check this out pretty interesting histories, and the public version of wd-40 is one year younger then pb http://www.pbblaster.com/history.html
http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
x2. WD40 was designed to displace water. It does that OK, but as far as a lubricant or a rust remover, or liquid wrench it is about as handy as a bottle of diet coke on whatever you are working on IMO. That is a chore for PB Blaster I think. Go get a can and you will never look back.

btw, who did that fine crossthread job? I would crossthread my foot in there lugnutts if they did not repair the mistake they made.
umm the one who did it is repairing it
Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tkob1060
umm the one who did it is repairing it
ohhh. oops. Then do this exactly:

wad up your fist and punch yourself in the man-luggage as hard as you can. Then put some new studs and lugs in it. Then pop yourself in the berries again. That way next time you are reaching for the air hammer to line up the lugs you will think about your swollen man parts and put them on with your fingers instead.

jk man, just put new studs and lugs in that one. good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

oh yeah I hope he realizes he needs a new lugnut too for the new stud
Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi

we all had to learn somewhere. Well I heard redneck was born with a beard and a wrench in his hand... but the rest of us had to learn over the years from experience and trial and error. He will learn if he does not put new lugnuts on that he might be buying another set of studs.

hey cyrus... if you get those studs and nuts at an autoparts store, do yourself a massive favor and while in the store check that all the ones you get are the same and that the nuts will screw onto the studs easily with your fingers. After working for some autoparts stores I have seen some strange things. Especially things made cheaply in china. The guy behind the counter couldn't care less if you get all the new studs in and one of them has screwed up threads cut from the factory. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts Crossthreaded on Wheel Lugs?