Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Sheets for Trail Protection

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm loving this idea. I just ordered a couple 24" x 48" in Red to get me started. I did a google search and found a place that sells the uncut sheets. Going to be a little more work, but o'well.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use the blue painters tape and some heavy paper to mock up the templates.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, that looks great!

Maybe I'll reconsider and do it myself. What kind of place do you look for to purchase the sheeting? Can you order it in different colors or patterns? I'm thinking camo of some sort.

Originally Posted by Tycho
The Trailskinz are great and come in some neat colours but I just made my own patterns up and cut them out of white auto grade magnetic sheeting. Cost me about $130 in materials. Flashed them up with some stickers Only put them on when wheeling and keep the JK well waxed.

Have had them at 100km/hr in torrential rain and they stay on fine.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

$300 would be just fine with me.

Originally Posted by Riptide
200-300? I honestly can't remember. Probably closer to 300. Google trail skins, it should be one of the top links.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Ive got to be the voice of skepticism here....when the H2 first came out, they offered magnetic skins as an off road accessory....and they disappeared. Jeeps have been upscale for decades and these have never been popular. Trail skins switched from magnetic to vinyl wraps...
I have to believe something ain't right with these.
As I stated earlier, my concern has always been trapping dirt or dust particles between the sheet and the paint. Maybe the scratches are nearly microscopic or something? Bottom line, if this is such a great idea, and it's been around for years, why isn't it the most popular trail mod out there?
Not hating on the idea, just filing it in the 2g2bt category...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not sure, but the Jeep I saw was an '04 in a pewter color, and the paint looked great. He's used them for years. His Jeep had about 100k on the clock. His dad has them on his Jeep, too and they both swear by them. I wouldn't have been interested had I not seen his Jeep and talked to him about them.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

If you go through heavy brush with them, you will get scratches in all the areas that aren't wrapped, the the scratch will suddenly end at the door. Will look weird imo
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If you go through heavy brush with them, you will get scratches in all the areas that aren't wrapped, the the scratch will suddenly end at the door. Will look weird imo
None of that was visible on the Jeep I saw.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I will hop on the hopeful bus and look forward to great feedback on these, in use keep us posted.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Ive got to be the voice of skepticism here....when the H2 first came out, they offered magnetic skins as an off road accessory....and they disappeared. Jeeps have been upscale for decades and these have never been popular. Trail skins switched from magnetic to vinyl wraps...
I have to believe something ain't right with these.
As I stated earlier, my concern has always been trapping dirt or dust particles between the sheet and the paint. Maybe the scratches are nearly microscopic or something? Bottom line, if this is such a great idea, and it's been around for years, why isn't it the most popular trail mod out there?
Not hating on the idea, just filing it in the 2g2bt category...
I believe I can somewhat answer this. I own and use a pair which work great. The problem is they have to go on a clean Jeep. Most of my wheeling trips are out of the blue and being that I am surrounded by dirt roads I always have an inch of dust on my Jeep. Now I can say that they even if you don't get it perfectly clean they are so firmly attached that they don't scratch or mark the paint as long as you don't try to slide them into position when putting them on/taking them off. I purchased mine from trail skins and they were well worth the money. I ordered them in white and painted them to match my Jeep.

Perhaps part of the problem is some of the more famous rigs don't sport them, but those rigs don't seem to go down the same overgrown forestry access roads we have in the north so maybe they aren't necessary. Just a theory as I have never been to the south.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Sheets for Trail Protection