Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Sheets for Trail Protection

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
None of that was visible on the Jeep I saw.
That means they didn't really take that Jeep into any significant bush. I know for a fact that once you start going through overgrowth, you will end up with thousands of continuous scratches. The leaves and branches don't have a personal preference to what they gonna scratch - they'll scratch anything they come in contact with. I have scratches all over the place. Besides the doors and the areas around them, my painted fenders are scratched, my hard top is scratched to hell, and I even have scratches over the hood. These magnetic sheets do not cover everything, and what they don't cover will get scratched, I can guarantee you this.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

I personally dislike the magnetic sheets, 'cause they give this "princess" look to the Jeep. And you still gonna get scratched anyway, as per my previous post. I've given up trying to protect my Jeep from scratches. Let it scratch, I don't care. Just try to avoid roads with thick branches, as those will leave big "key scratch" like scratches. Leaves or small branches - don't care. And there is always an option to restore the Jeep's look, and it's relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself - vinyl wraps. IMHO, matte vinyl wraps look way better and cooler than factory paint.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

That means they didn't really take that Jeep into any significant bush. I know for a fact that once you start going through overgrowth, you will end up with thousands of continuous scratches. The leaves and branches don't have a personal preference to what they gonna scratch - they'll scratch anything they come in contact with. I have scratches all over the place. Besides the doors and the areas around them, my painted fenders are scratched, my hard top is scratched to hell, and I even have scratches over the hood. These magnetic sheets do not cover everything, and what they don't cover will get scratched, I can guarantee you this.
Sorry. Wrong again. In Indiana, there are few places without thick brush. Some of you are guessing or hypothesizing. I saw the Jeep up close and spoke to the owner. He's quite pleased with their performance. If he wasn't, I wouldn't be interested in them. Heck, he's even been to Moab, where he said there's a surprising amount of brush in low places. The guy is a serious wheeler with a serious Jeep.

Besides, tell Tycho they don't work. I'll bet he'll beg to differ.

Last edited by dmwil; 07-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
Sorry. Wrong again. In Indiana, there are few places without thick brush. Some of you are guessing or hypothesizing. I saw the Jeep up close and spoke to the owner. He's quite pleased with their performance. If he wasn't, I wouldn't be interested in them. Heck, he's even been to Moab, where he said there's a surprising amount of brush in low places. The guy is a serious wheeler with a serious Jeep.

Besides, tell Tycho they don't work. I'll bet he'll beg to differ.
Whatever you wish to believe. I'm not guessing or hypothesizing. I'm giving you first hand experience. If you want to spend money on these sheets, then go ahead. Just don't come back asking why you still have scratches over uncovered areas. Your only hope is that your brush is really nothing compared to BC brush.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

I have a set of these as well and have been quite happy with them. I have had them through some pretty thick brush with out issues. Having a black jeep, I wish I would have got them sooner.As long as you clean your jeep before putting them on, and don't slide them around on the paint, they won't damage your paint. I have left mine on for up to a week with no ill effects. Obviously the don't cover everything, but protecting the main part of the doors is good enough. My paint deffinately has alot of scratches from before I had them and from going on runs with out them, but it would be way worse without them. A good waxing and it will look new again. I think mine were about $250. Cheaper than a paint job and you can only cut and polish so many times anyways. Eventually I'll stop using them, but for now I wanna keep it shiny and at least newish looking.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I've used magnetic sighs on my work truck 02 dodge ram 4x4 no scratches from dirt or sand getting behind them just put them on a clean rig and you'll be find
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Fine damn spell check
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Old pic before lift and tires. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sloquet Hot Springs 027.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	336451
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd be the first to say that these won't be for everyone and I've certainly coped some good natured flak from fellow 4wders. I've got scratches on my hardtop but these get hidden with a bit of detailer, a couple on the hood etc but being my daily drive it was the scratches on the doors that bugged me. I could mostly remove them with some scratch remover and a felt pad but that takes time. I also like having the stickers on show when I'm Offroad and that probably says something about me but each to their own

I'm awaiting my patterns to be scanned and I have learnt a lot from this and other forums so in the spirit of this forum I'll make these files available to any who want, maybe swap for a couple of stickers . Just PM me
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

would've been a good idea before, but now my jk looks like a wreck

Quick Reply: Magnetic Sheets for Trail Protection