Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP exhaust install help

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MBRP exhaust install help

ok..i'm about to crack into my exhaust..i got the old muffler off the hangers, but can't for the life of me can;t get the bolt off the catalytic--the nut is on top..i can't seem to get a grip on it..

i've used wd 40/lube on the nut and nada..

any suggestions?

thanks
steve
Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

When I looked at that clamp I didn't even bother trying to get at that bolt. I just got out the dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and slowly cut through the clamp. If you go slow you won't even make it all the way through the clamp before it pops. My theory is that was a lot easier and less painful than bloodying my knuckles getting at that bolt. Then if I ever want to put the stock exhaust back on I'll just buy a new stainless clamp for about 5 bucks
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

X2 that's what I did...

Use a dremel/cut off tool to cut threw the band clamp......
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone else get a grinder or one of those little dremel's and cut the damn clamp, its nearly impossible to get off otherwise. Be careful when you're cutting it so that you dont go through your stock pipe, unless you plan on tossing the stock system away in that case chop the mf'er to pieces!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

the muffler won..
after trying AGAIN this weekend i took it to a muffler shop up by me..it took the guy longer to get it on the lift then to take the old one off....about 30 minutes later i was done..

i felt like a bit of a putz that it was so easy for the, but it is what it is..75 bucks later i started my jeep with a nice rumble and i smiled! i'll do a small write up on the evap shield needed for a 2 door. to be quite honest i didn't really know what to expect, but boy am i happy..

here's my question--how long does it take for the muffler to "break in"? is there anything else i should be aware of? there's a bit of an oil smell, but that's just cause it's new..right?

thanks again to dave and northridge & steve at mbrp..

Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
the muffler won..
after trying AGAIN this weekend i took it to a muffler shop up by me..it took the guy longer to get it on the lift then to take the old one off....about 30 minutes later i was done..

i felt like a bit of a putz that it was so easy for the, but it is what it is..75 bucks later i started my jeep with a nice rumble and i smiled! i'll do a small write up on the evap shield needed for a 2 door. to be quite honest i didn't really know what to expect, but boy am i happy..

here's my question--how long does it take for the muffler to "break in"? is there anything else i should be aware of? there's a bit of an oil smell, but that's just cause it's new..right?

thanks again to dave and northridge & steve at mbrp..

Steve
Did you wipe down your system when you got it? They usually come with some sort of oily residue on them (probably what you're smelling), I would recommend wiping it down before installing but if you didnt I dont think its gonna be a big deal.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedolce
i'll do a small write up on the evap shield needed for a 2 door.

Steve
i've had the exhaust on for about 9 months with no shield. not saying one isn't necessary, but i haven't had a problem. had the jeep running for about 6 hours nonstop while wheeling last weekend. zero problems. not really making a claim one way or the other, just giving my experience.

smell is normal and passes fast. the only other thing i would suggest to watch (since someone else did the install) is the e-brake cable. depending on what system you have, the cable may come in contact with the pipe.

for future installers, removal of the stock system is clearly the most difficult part. if you are a little guy like me, i would suggest an impact wrench on the new system to really seal up the connections. i din't have one and just took it to a local shop and they tightened it up free of charge.

still the best overall exhaust system that i've seen for the jk in my opinion. congrats on the new exhaust...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

About an hour and a half, I had mine installed. I found it rather easy to remove that "stubborn" clamp with the bolt toward the heavens by simply using a box wrench and the handle of a hammer and the law of physics do the work.

Installing the new - The new has one major flaw. The pipes are expanded at the cat end about a pipe's thickness to big. This makes it IMPOSSIBLE to seal. Tightening the clamp down as far as it will go only causes the pipe to "pinch-ripple" over the cat output allowing leakage. It's not a bad "leak", only small to the point that you have to hold your hand around the pipe to even feel it. Also, has anyone else noted how close the pipe comes to the rear shock? Mine is about 1 1/2" from the "plastic" covering of the top section of the shock.
Adjustments all went perfectly. Was able to maintain the clearance at the cat above the cross member to avoid future "clanging" and all other electrical and fuel parts are free and clear. One mentioned a heatshield on the evap - not a bad idea! I may do that in the next couple days if I can stay off the bike long enough

Ok... Performance -

What can I say besides...

I think my Jeep lost 100 lbs when that big a$$ed muffler came off! The throttle... Well I can tell you for FACT that there is considerable improvement! For folks that don't monitor throttle position such as myself, you'll DEFINATELY feel it in the lack of downshifting from OD while climbing moderate grades - I tested this by driving a usual grade that would most certainly cause 35% ~ 40% throttle and a downshift at 45 MPH. Today - with the MBRP - SAME grade, 25% throttle at 45MPH and NO downshift and the motor sounded great in terms of it's load. Christ, I've only seen results like these when jetting/piping bikes!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new found performance. If you're still having trouble getting the front clamp to seal let me know and I'll see what I can do. We're down in Moab this week but I'm trying to keep up with PM's and questions when time allows.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

It's not really a problem with me since it does allow for better condensation release at startup. No noise issue since it's a minor "leak". I'll keep an eye on it to prevent slip-off but I doubt that could ever happen...

Quick Reply: MBRP exhaust install help