Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP Exhaust install help: Removing stock exhaust

Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Exhaust install help: Removing stock exhaust

Hey guys. I'm installing my off road black MBRP and ran into a snag. I have removed the muffler half, but I am stuck on getting any tools into the small space around the clamp at the Y pipe.

Any tips? I spent around 3 hours so far just on removing the old exhaust. Those rubber spacers are a pain in the ass. Now this.

I'm stuck now, having to go to work tonight, so I put the MBRP muffler onto the stock piping and clamped it down. Hope this holds temporarily.

Thanks for any help. I'm including pics of the problem area, and my temporizing measure so I can get to work.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

i wouldnt run with that muffler like that, unless you dont mind it falling off or getting damaged. just run without a muffler until you get it right. for some reason, i remember someone saying that had to cut the old exhaust at some point.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I made it to work without it falling off. Sounds great too Bet it well sound even better when I get that damn clamp off.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't have to cut the muffler itself off.. just the metal hangers knobs... easier to slide out of the rubber hangers that way.

Yeah.. I would just run it without a muffler until you get everything installed.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

pull it off the hangers and undo the bolt

if you have to, cut the stopper off the hanger

Last edited by mjolnir; 10-24-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjolnir
pull it off the hangers and undo the bolt

if you have to, cut the stopper off the hanger
Yah.. pretty straight forward. Mine was a pain in the arse to get off the hangers. Had to use a cut-off tool. Then it was off in minutes.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

That bolt is a b*tch to get off. Have to use an extended socket and just work it onto it squeezing it under the heat shield. Very tight fit, hard to break loose, and once you have it loosened its hard to get your socket and driver out. If I remember correctly I had to detach the socket from the driver to be able to pull it away.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, cut off the knobs and use lots of PB Blaster. I hit it three times before I even attempted to take the bolt off. I had my air ratchet do the rest.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the Y-pipe clamp off, I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Took my time, made sure my cut into the band of the clamp was uniform depth, and just before getting through the clamp it popped open.

No harm in cutting the clamps off the old exhaust as the new one comes with all new clamps!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the good advice. I used a dremel on the band, and it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: MBRP Exhaust install help: Removing stock exhaust