Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP roof rack

Old 12-10-2018, 11:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

He also fabricated the rack for the second spare tire. And I fabricated the bracket for the overhead lights. And he assisted with the wiring for the overhead lights (which is through an sPOD, and hidden in the MBRP rack tubes) ...

Old 12-10-2018, 11:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

If you're interested in mods to my Jeep, including more about the mods to the MBRP rack, each one of the ten parts of my recent TransAmerica Trail videos has something along those lines--from route planning procedures to vehicle communication mods, and everything in between. You can find a list of them with a link directly to the beginning of each one (which is after each part's video about the drive) here. Look at the full description for the links ("SHOW MORE"):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EJQ5g1Rxg6lELx
Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It is a custom fabrication by a friend of mine. There was another JKF member years back (also named Mark, LOL) who lived in Brunei at the time and he gave me the idea with his own similar mod. There are photos here of how my friend created the mod to adapt the rack to the AEV snorkel ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=87ad61e5da
Thanks Mark, for replying. I copied all your photos, and I also sent a facebook message to the "Other Mark" from the Netherlands. We'll see if he replies. I'll take what few photos I got from you and see if I can talk some friends from the Aviation Hanger here into giving this a go. What is the thickness of the steel you used for the up-bar? Is it bent at a 90 degree around the A-pillar? or is it flat?

Have you got any other photos of the part from different angles before the installation?
I think I can make it work, but once I start, I've got to finish it!

Tom
Old 12-12-2018, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Not sure what you mean "is it bent at a 90 degree around the A-pillar." The only new hardware is one 3/16" flat sheet of metal that has been shaped and cut. One tab is welded back on at a 90° angle to clear the air-particle separator. To the top of that, a piece of tubing from the original MBRP rack was removed, cut, and welded. Holes were drilled to accommodate the existing screws. The AEV snorkel is held in place by its original bracket, just on top of the new downrod for the MBRP rack. These two pictures should make it pretty clear, but just ask if you think a different angle would provide needed information ...

This is everything that was added to the Jeep. The curved piece is from the MBRP rack, cut off as shown (to clear the AEV filter). The flat metal bits were cut and shaped from 3/16" flat steel.

Finished install. Note how the original AEV bracket lays atop of the new MBRP rack downrod.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

BTW, if "the other Mark" doesn't respond to your request, you can contact him via the posts to that album. Look for his comment: Mark Van De Velden. He no longer has his Jeep, though, since moving from Brunei to Netherlands.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not sure what you mean "is it bent at a 90 degree around the A-pillar." The only new hardware is one 3/16" flat sheet of metal that has been shaped and cut. One tab is welded back on at a 90° angle to clear the air-particle separator. To the top of that, a piece of tubing from the original MBRP rack was removed, cut, and welded. Holes were drilled to accommodate the existing screws. The AEV snorkel is held in place by its original bracket, just on top of the new downrod for the MBRP rack. These two pictures should make it pretty clear, but just ask if you think a different angle would provide needed information ...

This is everything that was added to the Jeep. The curved piece is from the MBRP rack, cut off as shown (to clear the AEV filter). The flat metal bits were cut and shaped from 3/16" flat steel.

Finished install. Note how the original AEV bracket lays atop of the new MBRP rack downrod.
Thanks Mark, you told be exactly what I needed to know. What's not easy to see in your two photos, is if the flat piece of 3/16" steel is just one flat strip, or if it is bent to curve around the A-pillar giving it a 90 degree bend for added strength. A flat piece would be much more apt to bend than a flat piece that's been bent to 90 degrees, or there abouts. The angles are such that flat or bent to 90 degrees, it would look the same on the photos.

Have you noticed any problems with it rubbing against the A-pillar when under a load? I think I'm going to take your design and try to replicate is, almost precisely, except I might adhere it to the A-pillar with double sided tape just to act as a barrier and avoid chaffing when under a load.

Thanks for sharing, you're making the world a better place!

Tom
Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Spud Racer
Thanks Mark, you told be exactly what I needed to know. What's not easy to see in your two photos, is if the flat piece of 3/16" steel is just one flat strip, or if it is bent to curve around the A-pillar giving it a 90 degree bend for added strength. A flat piece would be much more apt to bend than a flat piece that's been bent to 90 degrees, or there abouts. The angles are such that flat or bent to 90 degrees, it would look the same on the photos.

Have you noticed any problems with it rubbing against the A-pillar when under a load? I think I'm going to take your design and try to replicate is, almost precisely, except I might adhere it to the A-pillar with double sided tape just to act as a barrier and avoid chaffing when under a load.

Thanks for sharing, you're making the world a better place!

Tom
Ah, okay. Here's a close crop, brightness adjusted, to better show the view from the front.

As far as chaffing, I didn't do anything special. If it chaffs, it will be identical to what the AEV snorkel bracket would have done since it doesn't touch the A-pillar most of the way up ...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

BTW, just an aside, but that friend took what he saw on my Jeep's MBRP rack and made his own for his wife's Jeep. It turned out really great with each piece curved for the Jeep's lines. Here's an album of that job ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=fd7196dd44

And here's a shot of her Jeep after the install (you've seen it before if you're caught up on my videos) ...

Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice !
Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

That is a work of art to be certain.

I've got the info I need to get started on my conversion. First I have to get the Jeep from PNG customs and find out how much the customs fee will hurt me (anywhere between zero dollars all the way up to $30,000). Then, if I can still afford it, I will then order the AEV snorkel kit which will take about 3-4 months to arrive here. Only then can I start fabricating the modified downtube bracket for the front extension kit.

Nothing happens quickly here, mods require a great deal of thought and careful planning. A mistake can take months to remedy.

Serving in Papua New Guinea,

Tom

Quick Reply: MBRP roof rack