Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler

Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second monkey space. I have the 3.5" x factor with progressives. Great on and off road. But at slow speeds on bumpy roads, the rear can be squishy sometimes.

I chose rk over MC after riding a buddies rig with. MC. The springs were way too squishy for my liking
Old 10-04-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JE8154
I was looking at both of these shocks for a while and ended up staying with my bilsteins, and waiting on fox adjustables. The rancho adjustables only go up to a 10.5" travel before you have a 19" collapsed length. Same thing goes with the RRD's an 11" travel RRD has a listed collapsed length of 18" in the front. I couldn't fit these with the mounts I have right now. Something to think about, make sure you measure before you settle on which shocks to run.
You running 2.5" or 3.5"? What length Foxes are you going with? I'm running 9000XL 31/32s, after trying a bunch of different settings, didn't like how they rode. They heat up fast on washboard too so I'm probably going to return them. Currently looking at either Fox or Radflo with reservoirs.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
You running 2.5" or 3.5"? What length Foxes are you going with? I'm running 9000XL 31/32s, after trying a bunch of different settings, didn't like how they rode. They heat up fast on washboard too so I'm probably going to return them. Currently looking at either Fox or Radflo with reservoirs.
Running 3.5" metal cloak springs in the front, 3.5" 2 door springs in the rear. I pulled the tire carrier and gained too much rake, the spring swap leveled it out. Nemesis front lower shock mounts, evo rock stars in the rear. Going to go with FOX-985-26-011 in the front, and FOX-985-26-012 in the rear. I may have to add 1/2" of bump stop in the front. It may be a while before I get anything done though, I'm going to need new tires and wheels in the next couple months. Also at the cost for these shocks I may consider going to coil overs instead.

Last edited by JE8154; 10-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

I'm running the 2.5" 4 door coils and with a 1" spacer in the front, I still have a little rake. I was thinking of swapping in 3.5" 4 door coils in the front which is the exact setup you have right now (4 door 2.5" are 2 door 3.5").

Looked at coilovers too but the price of mounts and labor would bring the cost up a lot.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
I'm running the 2.5" 4 door coils and with a 1" spacer in the front, I still have a little rake. I was thinking of swapping in 3.5" 4 door coils in the front which is the exact setup you have right now (4 door 2.5" are 2 door 3.5").

Looked at coilovers too but the price of mounts and labor would bring the cost up a lot.
Looking at about 2200 for coilovers and mounts plus labor or 1200 for just shocks. Gonna have to see how much overtime I can work this winter.

Quick Reply: Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler