Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic scraping when accelerating... Any ideas?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tduncan53
Thanks for the post.

I've got an '08 JKU with the same sound.

Thought I was hearing things.

I'll start looking underneath.
Same here. I thought I would just resurrect this thread. I am having it looked at today and will post up what my mechanic comes up with.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the exact same issue on my ‘18 JKU a few months ago. Turned out to be the exhaust crossover rattling against my MORE skid plate - only under easy acceleration. I had bashed it on a log (so it did it’s job), and it got knocked a hair closer to the exhaust. I ground away part of the skid plate (there was like 1mm clearance on one little lip of the plate when first installed) and the noise went away. Now it’s back but I think probably unrelated to that skid plate. Same exact sound, just less frequent. I’m gonna get under it this evening and look at the heat shield, etc. I’m confident it’s something that simple.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Any updates would be greatly appreciated. I have suspected the sound may be coming from the vapor (charcoal) canister. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Solved: It was a heat shield vibration occurring between 1500-2500 rpms. Some small spot welds had failed. Was able to resolve with a strategically placed hose clamp.

Quick Reply: Metallic scraping when accelerating... Any ideas?