Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum needed for lift

Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The OME HD and Teraflex 2.5" coils will give roughly the same height - right around 3".

OME medium and light will give less, but will not hold the weight of that heavy front end nearly as well.

TeraFlex 1.5" leveling 'coils' may hold the weight, but may not give the lift you want.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BDS has 2" coils. I wanted a better then stock ride quality and talked to a jeep club that my family is involved with and a lot of people said they were running BDS and zone and that the quality is amazing, maybe this is why BDS offers life time warranty.

I also did not want more then 2" of lift so i went with Zone nitro shocks and BDS 2" coils, have not gotten the chance to install it yet so i cant personally comment on the ride quality but it is food for thought.

cheers,
Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Default ome still confused?

so the ome lift is supposed to be 2.25 inches but the vendor said it is more like 3
anyone have experience with this

VENDORS AND SPONSORS TAKE NOTICE THERE APPARENTLY IS A DEMAND FOR A GOOD 2 INCH LIFT THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK AND ISNOT JUST A SPCER LIFT,

so back to the original question withthe ome heavy duty springs do I need control arms or will a track bar do?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

so the ome lift is supposed to be 2.25 inches but the vendor said it is more like 3 anyone have experience with this
OME makes like 11 different coils for the JK. Which ones is that vendor trying to sell you? The HD coils for a 4door will give around 3". The 4door coils on a 2door will give around 4". (on my 4door auto with full rr xhd and warn 9500lb winch with steel cable, I was a bit over 3" with the HD's.)

so back to the original question withthe ome heavy duty springs do I need control arms or will a track bar do?
It is a preference. But start with ---> do you actually understand what they do?

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

This is the same dilemma I am in right now.

I have ben on the phone with the OME tech for over a week. Here are the specs I was quoted:
2615 coils give a 2" lift and are rated at 125lbs of weight
2616 coils provide 2" of lift and are rated for 150lbs.

the Teraflex leveling kit provides 2" of lift on the front and 1" of lift for the rear. The front springs are rated for 170lbs and the rear 200lbs.

What you are asking for are springs of stock height that will bear the weight of the added bumpers and winch-which no one makes.
The way I understand , the coils hold up the vehicle and are rated to hold it at a specified height for the given weight. You add weight, and you lose height and suspension travel. This loss of suspension travel is what I am concerned with. I would like the use of my full travel while still controlling the ride. I do not want to start messing with caster angles, driveshafts, and control arms. I just don't have that kind of money to throw at my suspension for 2" of height gain.
That said, you should not put a longer spring with a lower weight rating and expect it to control your vehicle as well as a correct length spring rated for the added weight. I bet 2 doors handle like crap with 4 door coils because the coils were never meant to work without the added weight and compression that is intended.
I will probably go with the shortest spring with a decent load rating-like the Teraflex leveling kit.

Next dilemma:SHOCKS
OME or Bilstein. Bilstein give more control but OME are more compliant. That is the sentiment I have gathered from my research. I'll probably go with Bilstein 5100 shocks and the Teraflex leveling kit. I can't see spending 800 bucks for the TF coils and OME shocks without some huge improvements. Bilsteins can be had for @250/4
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I have ben on the phone with the OME tech for over a week. Here are the specs I was quoted:
2615 coils give a 2" lift and are rated at 125lbs of weight
2616 coils provide 2" of lift and are rated for 150lbs.
You might check this one before ordering:
hxxp://bgnor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/OME_CAT_EXPORT_No.25_APR2010.pdf

It gets confusing with all the different JK coils they make, but those 615's are 2door front coils. And the 616's are 2door diesel fronts or 4door fronts.

You'll get your 2 inches, but expect them to sag. And I wouldn't expect either of them to carry any extra weight on a 4door.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You might check this one before ordering:
hxxp://bgnor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/OME_CAT_EXPORT_No.25_APR2010.pdf

It gets confusing with all the different JK coils they make, but those 615's are 2door front coils. And the 616's are 2door diesel fronts or 4door fronts.

You'll get your 2 inches, but expect them to sag. And I wouldn't expect either of them to carry any extra weight on a 4door.

You are right. The tech guy had no idea what the rating on the stock spring was. He said he did not work within the stock guidelines and ARB does their own R&D. I don't think we are looking for much lift on this thread. We are looking to regain the ride quality (maybe increase it) after weighing down the Jeep with bumpers, winches, and racks.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone make coilovers for JKs?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by speed2005
anyone make coilovers for JKs?

Here's a link to our suspension section of our website. Give the shop a call or email info@Offroadevolution for questions.
http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...cts.php?cat=22
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rock krawler also make coilovers. So do a few other companies. Google search is your best friend on this one.

Quick Reply: Minimum needed for lift