Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto's 2007-2011 JK Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D

Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mishimoto's 2007-2011 JK Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D

Got Trucks, Got Jeeps (VOL. 1) – Catch Can R&D Part 1: The 3.8L Stock System

Do you know the origin of the term Jeep? Some say that during WWII, these vehicles were referred to as General Purpose vehicles, and soldiers began slurring the acronym, G.P., into Jeep, hence its name today (there’s a similar story behind the term Humvee). Others say that the name was derived from the popular cartoon character, Eugene the Jeep, from when the Popeye show aired back in the 1940’s. Eugene the Jeep was a “go anywhere, do anything” type character, and interestingly enough, the US government had a contract sent out to several automotive manufacturers requesting a vehicle to replace the horse that was able to go anywhere and do anything. Are we going to try and debunk this once-and-for-all? No, I’m no historian. While there is still a lot of background I can go into there, this will be a thread about awesome vehicle product development, so let’s get to it.

We already know that the Jeep name is synonymous with utility. Their notoriety soared for being the go-to service vehicle during some of modern human history’s scariest times. They reliably got down and dirty to take care of business and our troops. We want to return the favor by providing some added protection for some of the most popular Jeeps on the road in today’s day and age – the Wrangler.

While we have a large line of Jeep products that will keep your 2007-2011 JK running like a top, there is one area where we know we can help improve. I’m talking about oil blow-by; what is that you ask? Let me explain.

Nowadays, engines have their fuel delivered via direct injection as opposed to older engines where they used port injection. With port injection, the fuel injectors are situated right inside the intake manifold, producing a fuel stream to mix with the air. That air/fuel mixture is introduced into the combustion chamber through a valve. As the fuel passes over the valve area, much of the debris left over from combustion gets cleaned off – because as we all know, gasoline is an excellent solvent.

Direct injection, however, places the injector inside the combustion chamber, where the fuel can’t reach the valves like it does in port injection. This means the valves don’t get cleaned by the fuel, leading to carbon deposits on the valves. These deposits are caused by the oil and fuel vapors getting vented into the intake via positive crankcase ventilation and crankcase ventilation valves – the PCV and CCV systems. Eventually, a coating of oil and fuel, known as blow-by, builds up and back of the valves. We go into even more detail about the dangers of blow-by in this technical article, be sure to check that out!

A common method of preventing blow-by is through use of catch cans, and this is what we are going to work on for this application. To get started on this project, we needed a Jeep! It turns out that our Digital Marketing Coordinator owns and drives one, and she has willingly let us user her JK as the guinea pig for this catch can project (thanks Meg!). It’s always convenient when the vehicles we need to get our R&D done are sitting in our parking lot, it cut down on a lot of production time. All we have to do, is pull this jeep into our garage and begin working on it – and be done before the day is over, which is sometimes harder than it sounds. Luckily, one of the greatest strengths of a Jeep is their simplicity, so our lead engineer dove into this project head first and began dissecting.

If you own this model year Jeep, you know that these 3.8L EGH V6 engines are notorious for wildly inefficient oil consumption. In fact, Chrysler has actually stated, on numerous occasions, that these 3.8L engines can go through a quart of oil every 1000 or so miles. That’s a lot. You’ll also know that carbon buildup and pinging are both common issues with these engines, and they contribute to the increased oil consumption over the lifetime of the 3.8L. Since we now know that carbon buildup is a direct result of blow-by, a catch can would serve this JK well.

I know that a lot of you out there have made your own catch can setups due to the lack of quality, direct-fit kits out there, but Mishimoto has you covered. We will make this kit look awesome, perform even better and be painless to install. In the next update, we will go through the chosen location for mounting our setup and go through the prototype design. Stay tuned!

-Diamaan

Last edited by Mishimoto; 05-18-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a bummer but with all the problems your radiators have had in these rigs, buying a catch can for triple the cost doesn't really add up to me.

A catch can is easy to make for any vehicle for 20-50 dollars. The cans you guys usually offer for the ricer market are easily double the price if not higher vs building a kit from sourced parts.

If you want a baffled can throw some steel wool in the bottom, don't pay 100 bones for something like this. If you need it you'll know based on your consumption from checking the damn dipstick.

Installing a catch can takes 10 minutes and doesn't require an overpriced kit, any experience, and hardly any tools.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sa29560
Not to be a bummer but with all the problems your radiators have had in these rigs, buying a catch can for triple the cost doesn't really add up to me.

A catch can is easy to make for any vehicle for 20-50 dollars. The cans you guys usually offer for the ricer market are easily double the price if not higher vs building a kit from sourced parts.

If you want a baffled can throw some steel wool in the bottom, don't pay 100 bones for something like this. If you need it you'll know based on your consumption from checking the damn dipstick.

Installing a catch can takes 10 minutes and doesn't require an overpriced kit, any experience, and hardly any tools.
I appreciate your input. I know that we have had issues with our radiator, but we are taking our best engineering measures to fix those problems. As we have updates for that, we will be sure to keep you guys posted.

As for your thoughts on our catch cans, steel wool is certainly something people do, but the main problem with using material like that is oxidation. During colder weather, all catch can kits will see more watery content due to condensation. This will accelerate the rust and you'll have to keep replacing it. It is a tool to condense what's inside the can and be used as a baffle, but there are better ways to do this. The aluminum baffle in our can does the exact same thing, but in a much more efficient way and will never rust.

We also have a long line of catch can products and projects that extend to all markets. Pricing is always made competitive to the market for direct fit kits where we make it a priority for nothing to be done to the car for you to install it. That way, absolutely nothing has to be sourced and you are getting a quality part with serious engineering hours put behind it.

What we are trying to do is provide you guys with a direct fit kit that will not require any modifications to your Jeep. This is a product that for everyone from a master mechanic to your average weekend garage guy/gal. We have some really cool R&D to show everyone throughout the development of this catch can kit, so please stay tuned!

-Diamaan
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Damn......
Old 07-14-2017, 06:15 AM
Former Vendor

Hey everyone,

We have some exciting updates coming. Stay tuned!

-Diamaan

Last edited by Mishimoto; 07-14-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OBA Placement

Take a look at where ARB & VIAIR are mounting there on board air compressors. I would be interested in a competitively priced, high quality catch can as with my RIPP I can move quite a bit of oil through the intake. Unfortunately most people running an OBA system (like me) cant mount anything in front of the brake booster.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Take a look at where ARB & VIAIR are mounting there on board air compressors. I would be interested in a competitively priced, high quality catch can as with my RIPP I can move quite a bit of oil through the intake. Unfortunately most people running an OBA system (like me) cant mount anything in front of the brake booster.
Thanks for the tip. For those who mount compressors in that location, our kit may not work, but an update will be going up shortly for the specifics! Stay tuned!

-Diamaan
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

Jeeps are built to be rugged, all-terrain vehicles. We can bet that most of the aftermarket parts you purchase for your Jeep are designed to make it tougher. There’s no reason for our upcoming catch can kit to be any different. Our engineers have made this can nearly indestructible and will be able to handle any abuse your 2007-2011 3.8L Wrangler can throw at it.

In our last update, we discussed our plans for how we wanted to mount this catch can. We determined that the best location for a bracket was right behind the ECU. We could use the stock bolts that are already there, and the components can attach to the chassis, making it a solid and sensible location.

Designing the best bracket we can requires an accurate foundation for the design process. To do this, our engineers scan a selected area of the engine bay using our high-tech scanning equipment to create a 3D digital file to download into their computer-aided design software. The digital framework is a virtual 3D space of the scanned area for the engineer to design their parts however they desire.

Once a viable bracket design has been created in the software, our engineers upload the file to our cutting machine, which we call a waterjet. This machine shoots pressurized water and abrasive material out of a nozzle at pressures upwards of 60,000 psi, cutting through thick sheets of metal like a hot knife through butter, with computer-guided pinpoint accuracy – down to fractions of a millimeter. Our shop foreman, Mike, can show you in detail how this process works.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/v=eXXQzpFOqRo

The below images are the culmination of all the design stages to create a real part. The scanning, computer-designing, and cutting all leads to a sharp-looking bracket with perfect fitment. Once it’s all bent to spec and a little bit of paint covers the raw metal, it’s ready to go on our Jeep.

While there were some improvements to be made on the initial bracket, it served its purpose for road testing. Upon further inspection and discussion amongst our engineers, the initial bracket got some upgrades so it could be even stronger. A small, yet important change was made to the final product to increase its strength.

Our engineer decided to go with a less “assembly-required” design on the topside of the bracket, meaning less screws. Less screws results in an increase in rigidity, so the topside screws were completely removed to go with a solid one-piece structure. The entire bracket benefits from less bolt points, limiting chances for screws to back out, not to mention it makes for a cleaner overall look, which compliments the hoses that are properly bent to follow contours around the engine bay. Below are some install shots of the finished product!

Remember this can will only fit the 2007-2011 3.8L Jeep Wrangler, but not to worry, we have a can coming out for the later models as well. We are a bit ahead of schedule, so the presale is will go live within a day or two. If you want one from our first shipments, head over to our website and get your name down on the presale list. Thanks for following along!

-Diamaan

Last edited by Mishimoto; 07-21-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishimoto

cutting through thick sheets of metal like a knife through warm butter
-Diamaan
It seems you may have made a mistake in your translation of an English idiom. It's "like a hot knife through butter."

I think Mushimoto, should really consider hiring these guys. They're a lot more entertaining, they taught me more about a oil catch can in less time and why it's needed, and their design looks more practical and potentially even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmK3C0SuAjQ
Old 07-19-2017, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Yup, right where the brains for sPOD, and whatever knock off you want to name, mount.

Something tells me you're gonna need to fix your reputation with the radiators before you sell many of these.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto's 2007-2011 JK Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D