Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MOAB equipment and must haves

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOAB equipment and must haves

I am planning on taking a trip to do a little wheeling in moab this summer. i have a 2009 Unlimited X. lifted 2.5 inches on 35 bfg
all-terrains (should have some mud terrains by then). stock dana 30/44's. Stock gears and everything else.

So my question is what are some upgrades i should get to make my jeep better for the trip. (Im planing on an oil pan skid and evap canister skid soon)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

A spare jeep! Haha jk. I wish I could hit Moab maybe one day, its a real long way from home and if I don't trailer it down then I'd be scared to break something. Good luck with ur trip. I hear u joints and axles are a must have? And have all the fluids ur jeep needs.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got everything you need, a JEEP really its all you need just stick to trails that are within your skill level and take your time. Since your going in the summer i would add some coolant and spare oil to your list. Summer heat in the high desert will eat that stuff up. It will be an awesome time bro, no other place like MOAB. have a great trip!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went on my first Moab trip in my '12 stock Rubi unlimited back in late October. It was amazing, have fun! I didn't bring anything but camping gear and was completely fine but went with sometime who had a hi-jack, recovery straps, and basic tools in case they were needed. You'd be surprised what even the stock Jeep can take! I would be prepared and bring recovery equipment (tow straps and hooks at the very least) in case they're needed. You don't want to be stuck out on the trails with no way out
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Basic recovery equipment and spare fluids are good to have. Best advice I can give is get a trail book of Moab and research all the trails. Determine what you want to to do and go after it. My recommendation since its your first time do "Top of the World". It's a fairly long trail but as long as its dry a stock rig can make it without any issues. Bring your lunch and enjoy the view from the Top. I attached two pics from last years run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	407940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	407941  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
Basic recovery equipment and spare fluids are good to have. Best advice I can give is get a trail book of Moab and research all the trails. Determine what you want to to do and go after it. My recommendation since its your first time do "Top of the World". It's a fairly long trail but as long as its dry a stock rig can make it without any issues. Bring your lunch and enjoy the view from the Top. I attached two pics from last years run.
Man that is a nice picture.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gman*2007

Man that is a nice picture.
X2. Nice pic. Hope it was used for your Xmas card.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen ppl pull right out to the edge but holy I'd be way to nervous to do that lol
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

My wife was guiding me forward thats as close as I cared to get. I could swear I saw dollar signs in her eyes as she kept egging me on to get a little closer
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go without any additional upgrades and have a great time.

Be sure to disconnect your front swaybar and air down your tires to about 10-12 psi.

It depends on your budget, but I'd suggest you consider at least:

Oil pan skid
Relocate or skid the EVAP canister
Front swaybar quick disconnects
Rocker guards/sliders
Recovery bag with strap, d-rings, gloves.
Someone familiar with the area and obstacles, who has a rig, to go with you (don't wheel alone)
GPS and maps or guidebook
CB
Air compressor (to air up tires after dropping them to 10-12 psi for wheeling)
A cooler with plenty of water.
Bug spray if you ever go later in the summer (the biting flies on Cliffhanger in July are not very nice)
A digital camera

Also recommended if you are on a budget but want to try some more challenging stuff:

Front Aussie automatic, lunchbox locker.

Last edited by planman; 01-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: MOAB equipment and must haves