Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More research = more confused

Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More research = more confused

I sometimes confuse myself the more I research. And I tend to research stuff to death sometimes.
BUT,, I think I have made a choice and am down to the last detail,,,,,, size.

I'm pretty darn sure I have decided on the Goodyear DuraTrac tires. But I need to figure out size.
275/65/18 probably not
275/70/18
295/65/18
325/65/18

90% of my driving will be onroad,,, pavement,,gravel. And I live in Oregon so we have our share of wet roads,, some snow(not much). I guess those things don't matter when it comes to size.

As shown in my signiture I have the 2dr Sahara with a 2.5" OME lift. And I have 3.73 gears.
I'd rather not run into a rubbing problem and have to do any further modifications,, but if its a better choice I will.
And I'd rather not HAVE to change gears but I am haveway expecting to from what I read.
One last thing,,, I am running my stock wheels.
What say you

Last edited by hdrider; 10-24-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default duratracs

Here is picture of my 2dr with 275/70/18 GDY Duratracs-Mostly on road driving as well-ran them for a couple of weeks without rubbing-but realized everything was real tight-actually rubbed front bumper air dam at full steering. Put on 1.5" spidertrax spacers and really liked the wider stance. You may want to consider a procal to let you lower your tpms setting. those tires are e rated stiff sidewalls. I am running 26 psi and the ride is good. Set my tpms down so tire alarm would not go off. If you put them on stock 18" wheels and run them at 36 psi you will not have full contact of tire on pavement and your ride will be rough.

Last edited by CLOTAGAMES; 10-24-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: 275
Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Drop down to a 16" rim
Get 35's
Start saving for a re-gear

If you are attached to you current stock 18's:

Get wheel spacers
Get 35's
Start saving for a re-gear
Old 10-24-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickc309
I believe the 275 would be about the height as the stock tires, right at 32 inches, the 295 you have listed according to a conversion calculator I found online says it's 33 inches tall. That is about all you want as a daily driver with 3.73's, this would most likely be your best choice to go along with your gearing and lift. Here is a link to the calculator. http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire...conversion.htm
I am so glad you put that link there I have been looking for something like this.

hdrider If you want to stay with 32's I would say just go with a wider tire you should get more traction on the wet roads plus IMHO it looks better. Now you will notice a slight difference in steering though.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info so far,,, and that online conversion is a great tool for now and the future.
On another note,,, I have started calling around for prices on these tires and have found that there seems to be around a 6 week backorder in place. Must be a popular tire right now.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

And I did ponder dropping in wheel size but have decided to stay with the stock wheels.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CLOTAGAMES

Here is picture of my 2dr with 275/70/18 GDY Duratracs-Mostly on road driving as well-ran them for a couple of weeks without rubbing-but realized everything was real tight-actually rubbed front bumper air dam at full steering. Put on 1.5" spidertrax spacers and really liked the wider stance. You may want to consider a procal to let you lower your tpms setting. those tires are e rated stiff sidewalls. I am running 26 psi and the ride is good. Set my tpms down so tire alarm would not go off. If you put them on stock 18" wheels and run them at 36 psi you will not have full contact of tire on pavement and your ride will be rough.
All of those tires will fit on the stock 7.5" wheels and none of those tires is radically different than the others. Unless price is an issue, why not go with the largest size?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As Spinlock said, the stock rims are 7.5" wide. Some shops will not install larger tire sizes on narrow rims, so be sure to double check.

Tire Size..............MFG's 'Approved' Width
32.07 x 10.82.......7.5 - 9.0
33.15 x 10.82.......7.0 - 8.5
33.09 x 11.61.......8.0 - 10.0
34.63 x 12.79.......9.0 - 12.0

I didn't see your opinion on wheel spacers, but you might want to consider them, especially with the bottom two.

You said that you have done your homework, so I take it you've read all of the opinions on running bigger tires on auto's with stock gears, and you realize how much of a performance difference you'll find between the top tire and the bottom tire in that list. I still vote for the 35's, just make sure you know what you're getting into...
Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

My only opinion on spacers is that if I rub,,, I'll get them. And if I order the largest size I will most certainly order them before I put the tires on.
As far as gearing. I'd rather nor but in reality I fully intend on it. But which gears will depend on the tires I go with. Something gigger than 4:10's I would imagine anyway.
Am I on the right track?
I'm fully planning on ordering tires tomorrow from one of two places local. So by the time I leave home in the morning I need to make a choice.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

With 3.73 gears and an auto I recommend you factor new gears into your tire purchase equation. Even with 33s and stock 3.73s your Jeep is going to be a dog on the highway. Going larger will only make the problem worse. There are few folks that say they are happy with their performance with 3.73s and 33"+ tires. You do not have to get gears the same day you get tires and wheels so you can drive it for awhile with the new tires and see if you can live with the reduced performance.

As of tire size, 33's are the more practical choice but IMO 35s are the right choice for a Jeep. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: More research = more confused