Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Moveable Winch

Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moveable Winch

Has anyone installed a moveable winch? i.e. one that goes into the hitch receiver, but can also be moved to the front if you put a receiver on there as well? I saw one of these in a picture some time ago and thought the idea of being able to have your winch in the front or back was a great one, but no idea how it actually performs and how much a pain it is to move it.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You probably saw the Warn mount that attaches to the carrier. It's a nifty idea but you will have to wire it front and back and with a means to disconnect them with ease. The other problem you need to consider is that your winch will only be as strong as the hitch/receiver. Granted, they are quite strong but I would rather have my winch secured directly to the frame to insure its strenght. But hey, that's just me

Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Wayoflife, that's exactly what I saw. I can certainly understand that it's not as strong, but the benefit is that you can't always winch forward, thought this would be a nice alternative. A good hitch mount will take at least 10,000 pounds of pressure, so I'm not too concerned, living in Arizona that it's unlikely I'll get really bogged down in mud or the like where you need the real heavy duty winches to pull you out.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

You may want to consider security when deciding on the preferred mounting option. A battery powered sawsall with a good blade and your winch is history.
Please be so kind as to avoid asking me how I know this.

:sad: Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the front receiver is properly attached to the frame, a removable winch works just fine. I used one on my lifted KJ for several years successfully.

The advantages are:
You can winch from either front or rear
The winch can be stored out of the weather in the rear of the Jeep

The disadvantages are:
You need to install the winch when it is needed. This mean either you do it before you wheel or you wait till you get stuck and do it standing in the mud!
The winch so installed usually lessens the approach angle a bit.

If you only occasionally go off road, the removable winch is a good way to go. If you wheel a lot, a permanent mount is better.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

What is available for the front hitch?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

con - Like one said, keep in mind the approach angles, to install a front hitch you may need to install it underneath the radiator, with the winch sticking out your approach angles can be drastically compromised.

pro - It is nice to have the extra weight of the front during city driving.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had one on my 04 Rubi, I liked it. I used a flat top bumper and welded a receiver tube on top for storage and then lifted it out and slid it into place when needed. I now have taken that winch and put it on my JK, I am not using the receiver mount anymore since I found it to be a pain when you are already stuck. I sold the craddle to a friend and now he has decided that he will need to work out so he can lift the winch.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

I am not a fan of lugging 80lbs of winch/mount/whatever for a very small added benefit.
My lower back thanks me
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have one and love it! I use it all the time.

For more photos go to http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm

Quick Reply: Moveable Winch