Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Moveable Winch

Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scouter4life
................A good hitch mount will take at least 10,000 pounds of pressure.................

Unless you make it yourself I would bet you would have trouble finding any hitch for a JK rated for even half of that for the rear or any thing with any real weight rating for the front.

I know you can find front and rear recievers, I'm just guessing you won't find anything near the weight ratings that you would need to be safe.

There is also the limitation that all of the portable mounts I have seen only recommend a straight pull and warn that any side pull could lead to component failure do to the leverages involved.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:29 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go for removable, as I did with my LR Defenders, you can easily make a quick disconnectable electrical connectors by using forklift charging connectors.
Snap on snap off. Throw your winch as you like. I kept it normally inside and when needed used wingbolts to set up the whole thing. Less than 5 minutes to get it working.
I will do same to my JK during this winter.
And Warn Rc winch is light enough to carry around.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

And also I recommend a custom make winch mount using all 4 bolts to hold on strong bumper, not these receiver type as they do have severe limits pulling sideways.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted something like this on my TJ. The idea was to use a mount in front that would allow the winch to be used normally. Maybe something like a normal winch plate with a cradle bolted to it. I envisioned welding the nuts on the bottom of the winch mount so the whole cradle could be removed by removing 4 big bolts.

Then you could use the cradle with an attachment bar, like a 2x2 solid steel bar, with a "receiver type" double shear pin attachment.

In my eyes you would get the best of both worlds. A full, safe, sideways capable front mount. And a receiver type mount for the rear for the rare times you need a rear recovery. Since I was assuming rare rear recovery, I was just point to use a long quick connect cable set thrown over the roof.

The down sides are many. No one makes this contraption, so you have to make it. It adds quite a bit of cost. Three sets of quick connects. Long and regular cables, two mounts or the steel to make them, the big 2x2 extension, and pins. Plus a rear point capable of recovery. It is a bunch of weight, and unbolting would still be required to move it. Four bolts is no big deal to me but it is not just a pin.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have one on my Rubi but I do have one on my DMax

Works great and it's not that heavy.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksJeep
If the front receiver is properly attached to the frame, a removable winch works just fine. I used one on my lifted KJ for several years successfully.

The advantages are:
You can winch from either front or rear
The winch can be stored out of the weather in the rear of the Jeep

The disadvantages are:
You need to install the winch when it is needed. This mean either you do it before you wheel or you wait till you get stuck and do it standing in the mud!
The winch so installed usually lessens the approach angle a bit.

If you only occasionally go off road, the removable winch is a good way to go. If you wheel a lot, a permanent mount is better.
I had one. With any winch, you are going to get in the mud, because you have to unspool it and attach the cable to something. The approach angle issue is very true, though. With the old YJ, however, there was a mount you could buy that fit on top of the bumper, which lessened this issue.

Most of the winching I did with mine was actually from the rear. I'm probably going to get one, but I'm not even going to bother with a front mount.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default I think I'm gonna do it.

I'm going to buy the Warn XD9000i multi-mount winch. There are alot of good points discussed here, pro and con. My reasons are the versatility of front or back hookup because I'll be using it around the property more than any extreme 4wheelin. All though it's not optimal for heavy off center loads, I'm hoping it will get me out of any trouble I'm bound to get into. FYI Warn does not make and aren't planning on making a front receiver mount any time in the near future for the JK. Curt makes one, model 31432 that you can find at http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2007_Jee...+Unlimited.htm. The information on etrailer.com and curtmfg.com show it listed for a 07-08 Wrangler Unlimited only. I contacted etrailer customer service to find out why.
Thier prompt reply was-
Thank you for your patience while I worked to contact Curt regarding the front hitch. This hitch, part #31432, will fit both the Unlimited and the standard two door Wranglers (2007).
We can have these available for shipment within seven days of placing an order. If you would like to order you may do so either on line or by calling us toll free at 1-800-298-8924.

Last edited by Silverdog; 10-12-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Moveable Winch