Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MPG idea

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG idea

Ok, it's understood that we didn't get our Jeeps for the gas mileage. Still there are people on here looking for answers, and I thought I'd throw out an idea.

About 2 months ago, I DESTROYED my front diff. Gotta love the D30. To get me home, I pulled the front axles. I ended up having to leave them out as this is my daily driver and I needed to drive it. Well, I got to looking at my gas mileage and I picked up about 2 mpg since I wasn't having to turn all that weight.

I said all of that to say this, what about locking hubs? I understand there is a set out there, WARN I think. The only thing is it looks like the bolt pattern for those don't match up with what we currently have, so you would have to buy different wheels. Well, if your going to buy new wheels anyways right? Just a thought, but when I get my Dynatracs... I am defintly going to order those. Haven't seen a thread talking about this, so I figured... well, you know... Going to Boggs and Boulders now!!! YEAH!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone already makes them for a JK, price is up there if I remember right.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

hXXp://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=17&idproduct=83

$1500

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Piginajeep has some lockout hubs on his jeep i forgot the manufacturer but it was also $1400 and yes it did change the bolt pattern to 5x 5.5. you might give him a pm for more info. Nevermind goody found the company

Last edited by jonboy; 05-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Those who have installed the locking hubs on their JK's have not noticed much for improved mpg's.

Even if you gained 2 mpg's, it would take a couple hundred thousand miles to break even.

There are much better reasons to do the conversion than mpg's.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, I would be more cost effective to remove your front driveshaft when you drive on the road even though you only part of the benefits.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

$1400.00 wow,thats high ...
Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JKNIGHT
$1400.00 wow,thats high ...
Yes, but it's a great piece of work.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
Yep, I would be more cost effective to remove your front driveshaft when you drive on the road even though you only part of the benefits.
Just pulling the front driveshaft wouldn't change anything the axles are still locked to the wheels and would still rotate the front ring gear and pinion. I get what you was sying but i wanted to clearify for others so they wouldn't take out that driveshaft and expect to get more mpg's.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboy
Just pulling the front driveshaft wouldn't change anything the axles are still locked to the wheels and would still rotate the front ring gear and pinion. I get what you was sying but i wanted to clearify for others so they wouldn't take out that driveshaft and expect to get more mpg's.
I'm not totally disagreeing with you but what requires more gas eating energy? turning the axles that are in line with the wheels (minimal resistance) or the amount of energy required during the rotation between the ring and pinion to turn the high inertia (heavy) articulating driveshaft.

I'd bet removing the front driveshaft would be good for an MPG or 2 with a non agressive driving style.

Assuming you are not turning, I've often wondered if starting in 4HI to say 40 mph might actually improve MPGs since I was applying equal engine energy to all 4 wheels instead of using two to turn essentially all the same parts less the transfer case gears. Could potentially improve 0-40 times too???

Quick Reply: MPG idea