Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MPRB Exhaust some issues and overall writeup

Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the black off road relocation system heading my way, got a deal on it! Has anyone had any fitment, install or rubbing/vibrating issues with it?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
I've got the black off road relocation system heading my way, got a deal on it! Has anyone had any fitment, install or rubbing/vibrating issues with it?
Which one did you buy? I got the cheap one and it all fit well. I had to bend the break line bracket so that the line didn't rest on the over axle pipe. It took me an hour to uninstall the old exhaust and about an hour to install the new one.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
Which one did you buy? I got the cheap one and it all fit well. I had to bend the break line bracket so that the line didn't rest on the over axle pipe. It took me an hour to uninstall the old exhaust and about an hour to install the new one.
Haha, I've got the black off-road muffler relocation system...not the stock location one.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Looks like we've got lots of new exhaust installs going on. Lets get some trail feedback from those of you who are using the off road systems. Has ANYONE managed to even touch their MBRP exhaust when wheeling. Mud does not count

Post some clearance pictures if anyone has any!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Steve, I know for a fact that the muffler in the standard exit system works great if you remove the tip. Ive touched my hitch doing a test flex in my parking lot but the muffler was like inches away from the ground. Just a heads up!

The offroad relocation would be even more capable!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm reposting from my other thread. Custserv has been great with MBPR! Still trying to sort getting a receipt for my exhaust so no replacement pipe yet. Clearance is amazing on the off-road setup! And the sound is freaking awesome at idle and WOT. As for performance, nothing tangible, but I already had the CAI and powerchip in. Going to pull the chip this weekend and run it around for a little bit after discoing the battery for 15 minutes then reinstall the chip to make sure.

"Well, the upturn pipe on mine needs to be replaced or I have to go to a shop and get the hanger repositioned, doesn't line up at all and causes the whole exhaust to drop off the rear hanger as well. I've temporarily wired it with some coat hanger wire to keep that from happening, sending pics to MBPR to see if they will replaced it (it's not even close).

I took a couple of clips on my camera of the jeep at idle and giving it some gas. Still need to take a clip of it running down the road (got too much wind noise on the mic doing it yesterday, going to re-do those).

Clip 1 - start and idle (jeep is warmed up already)

Clip 2 - camera on ground at rear of jeep, rev engine a few times.

Recomend you right click and save as, they aren't small clips.

The sound is growing on me."

Last edited by GNNR; 05-21-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Looks like we've got lots of new exhaust installs going on. Lets get some trail feedback from those of you who are using the off road systems. Has ANYONE managed to even touch their MBRP exhaust when wheeling. Mud does not count

Post some clearance pictures if anyone has any!
i wheeled with my exhaust installed. came down on it and pushed it up into the bumper. looks fine. still the same shape.noticed at end of day. i love my exhaust! mud also cleans right off. i have a pressure washer, but garden hose worked too. i also had a hangar clearance issue with frame and tcase. i trimmed mine also. i believe u guys responded in another thread. GREAT EXHAUST GUYS!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Thumbs up Good Product -- Easy Install -- stock location kit

Installed a MBRP #S5502409 stock location cat back exhaust last weekend. Sprayed the stock hangers and clamp nuts with WD-40 the night before the install. Used a large pair of channel lock pliers in lieu of hanger pliers and was able to pop the stock hangers out of the mounts without much effort. Box end wrench and a little patience loosened the 1st clamp at the cats. Piece of cake from there on. 40 minutes to pull the stock off and 40 minutes more to install the new exhaust. My son and I did take care to maximize clearance of the axle crossover pipe from surrounding cables and such. Alignment of the pipes was done with this clearance established first.

The stock clamps were spot welded to the stock pipes. The stock pipes were not spot welded together.

Great sound, just what my son and I were looking for. Some of the other sound clips we listened to sounded great with our eyes closed but with eyes open the sound appeared to be promising more than the Jeep's engine will ever be able to deliver. MBRP struck a great balance for us.

Benefits other than the sound? Butt dyno says maybe a little more omph but that could be just due to the sound playing mind tricks. Concrete benefits? It looks like the K&N drop in air box filter and the MBRP exhaust may be combining to give a 0.3 to 0.4 mpg increase to partially compensate for the mpg penalty incurred by using the A/C.

I was a little disappointed with the saw cut raw end of the MRBP hangers I was expecting a bump or something more along the lines of the stock hanger. However that little disappointment does not prevent me from saying the MRBP cat back exhaust was money well spent and a great install

Last edited by kingteddybear; 05-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today I installed the Offroad SS reloc version MBRP.Nice product, easy installation ,it tooks only 1 hour! No contact to frame or a rattling sound. But exhaust sound is very noisy and not good for my ears. I'll have to remove or replace the mufler for ex. Flowmaster 50.
Everything is perfect, except sound
Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have the SS in stock location.

I looked at mine today at work, on break of course.
Looking for any clearance problems. The only thing I noticed was the evap can hose was a little close. Not touching or anything.
So I took two seconds, and zip tied the hose to a frame rail. No big deal, just peace of mind.

Quick Reply: MPRB Exhaust some issues and overall writeup