Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler confusion!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler confusion!

Hey team. I'm going to be putting a flowmaster original 40 series muffler on my peej and i want to put it before the rear axle and use the remaining stock pipes for the dump behind the axle. However, the only Inlet/outlet (that i know if) is an offset in and center out.
Any ideas on what i could do to make this work? Can i even make it work?

help me out fellas!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I used an offset in and offset out 40 series on my 09and it worked perfectly.
Check out flow masters web site and you can fine all the part numbers you need.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a pick if mine tommorow morning. Have a super 44 just like you described on my 2012. I clamped the 44 and the 40 on and took them for drives back to back and I think the 44 sounded a little better. Subtle difference, but the 44 is deeper tone. Check your local autozones and advanced autos and see if they have both in stock and test them like I did.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

I ended up losing a half inch of clearance tho, not toooooo bad. It's a dd wheeler, not a hardcore crawler
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
-

Originally Posted by on the rocks
I used an offset in and offset out 40 series on my 09and it worked perfectly.
Check out flow masters web site and you can fine all the part numbers you need.
would you be able to post a picture of it?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

It was raining, still working on the picture. 40 and super 44 look very similar, 44 might be a tad smaller
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
-

Originally Posted by kh202
It was raining, still working on the picture. 40 and super 44 look very similar, 44 might be a tad smaller
awesome. thanks man. the only thing I'm concerned about is the offset inlet/outlet. I can't wrap my brain around how I could make that work.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by iheartmopar
awesome. thanks man. the only thing I'm concerned about is the offset inlet/outlet. I can't wrap my brain around how I could make that work.
The super 44 comes in a center in/ out. That would be ideal and you wouldn't lose any clearance. I have offset in and out (cuz i'm stupid and when i want something i want it now lol).

Anyway, i've run everything in the last month from straight pipe dumping under driver seat to flowmaster behind axel ect. The easiest thing would be to remove stock muffler, and go 90 degree bend, flowmater, and pipe out the side. You can attach a rubber strap clamp to one of the bolts on frame.

The best sound i have come up with is to remove the resonator, add a section of straigh pipe (18"), clamp flowmaster somewhat vertically but slightly angled for clearance, the add a section of pipe out the back. (i didn't have any pipe on outlet at first and it was ok, but very droney). The pipe will make it quiter inside and add a little growl. I have mine 45'd under axel. For hanging, i used a rubber strap hanger right before flowmaster and attached it to one of the evap skid bolts above.

Another option is a flowmaster super 10 (2012 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube). Thats a 2012 with no resonator and super 10. Just tuck it up there and add a pipe to dump before axel.

IMO, i'd go super 44 center in/out over 40, but thats your call. The 44 like i said is a little deeper and less tinny, not really much volume difference at all. Btw, i'm not saying the super 44 is the greatest thing ever, there are a lot of options out there. I know dynomax and mrpb are big on here, just haven't had any first hand experience with them.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
-

Originally Posted by kh202
The super 44 comes in a center in/ out. That would be ideal and you wouldn't lose any clearance. I have offset in and out (cuz i'm stupid and when i want something i want it now lol).

Anyway, i've run everything in the last month from straight pipe dumping under driver seat to flowmaster behind axel ect. The easiest thing would be to remove stock muffler, and go 90 degree bend, flowmater, and pipe out the side. You can attach a rubber strap clamp to one of the bolts on frame.

The best sound i have come up with is to remove the resonator, add a section of straigh pipe (18"), clamp flowmaster somewhat vertically but slightly angled for clearance, the add a section of pipe out the back. (i didn't have any pipe on outlet at first and it was ok, but very droney). The pipe will make it quiter inside and add a little growl. I have mine 45'd under axel. For hanging, i used a rubber strap hanger right before flowmaster and attached it to one of the evap skid bolts above.

Another option is a flowmaster super 10 (2012 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust - YouTube). Thats a 2012 with no resonator and super 10. Just tuck it up there and add a pipe to dump before axel.

IMO, i'd go super 44 center in/out over 40, but thats your call. The 44 like i said is a little deeper and less tinny, not really much volume difference at all. Btw, i'm not saying the super 44 is the greatest thing ever, there are a lot of options out there. I know dynomax and mrpb are big on here, just haven't had any first hand experience with them.

Yeah the super 44 does sound awesome but i love the way the original 40 sounds. To each their own i guess? haha.
I'm planning on just taking the stock muffler out, and cutting into the stock pipes to put the muffler before the rear axle. the only thing im concerned about is how i'm going to make the pipes line up to and out of the muffler if its offset in/out, know what i mean? This may be a really obvious question but for some reason i'm completely retarded today and can't figure it out.

Also, where the hell is the resonator?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

What year?. The 2012s have a big loop, join at a y and then theres a resonator under driver seat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1535492324.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	319720

This is how i had it set up behind axel

Quick Reply: Muffler confusion!