Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is my Jeep a good candidate for a RIPP Supercharger? And some questions.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my Jeep a good candidate for a RIPP Supercharger? And some questions.

I've just about convinced myself I need a RIPP supercharger for my JK. First a little on my Jeep.
It's a 2008 JKU with just under 65,000 miles. Stock engine and 6-speed. Lifted about 2.5" courtesy of OME. 3.73 axle ratio and 32" tires. Engine is healthy. Uses about a quart of oil every 4-5 thousand miles. Oil changes average every 5,000 miles with synthetic 5w-30. I've had used oil analysis done for most oil changes and there are no abnormal wear metals showing.

I'm not looking for a supercar, just a bit more everyday usable power. I live in the high Nevada desert and there are mountain ranges all over. Average altitude is 4,000 feet where I live. I sometime tow a small pop-up camp trailer which probably weighs around 1,000 pounds. I spend a lot of time exploring the desert but no rock crawling or extreme 4-wheeling. 4WD is rarely needed.

So. first of all will my Jeep engine survive a supercharger?

Stage 1 or Stage 2? Stage 1 would probably give me the power I want but I don't want problems down the line either. It can get hot here in the summer with some days just over the 100 degree mark. My usual highway cruising speed is 70 mph which puts my RPM just under 2,500.

My Jeep came with the small tires. I put on Rubicon wheels/tires and used a Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator to correct the tire size in the computer. Will that cause any issues with installing a supercharger tune?

That is all the questions I can think of for the moment.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it's been said before the main thing to do is a compression or leak down test. You can ask Ripp directly right here on the forum. I've seen others ask the same question in other threads.

On another note;

I'm waiting until my five year powertrain warranty is up before I install a Ripp . I should have approx. 45k on my JK by then.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

just happen to come across ur thread, I bought my rubicon used its a 2007, I picked up about 2 yrs ago. it was bone-stock, had about 40k miles, 6 spd trans. I had big plans, that required tearing down, then going back up....the first thing I did was tear out interior n rhino the whole floor, the second thing, RIPP SUPERCHARGER. along with supercharger install, the vehicle has to be tuned with RIPP's Tuner...upon tuning you have the option to input correct tire size...I am running 37" Nitto TrailGrapplers. I have a stage 2, and absolutely no complaints!
my cousin has a 2008 w/ 35" Nitto's w/ No Supercharger, not yet at least. there's is no comparison or competition!

if you have any other questions feel free to ask
Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I agree do a leak down test! You're probably in good shape to add a supercharger! The one thing I noticed you say is "usable power" if you're looking for noticeable usable power check out magnuson or sprintex, positive displacement blowers increase torque lower in the rpm band making driving a much more enjoyable feeling. They almost act like a new diesel engine without the need to gear down on long uphill roads.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvJeep
Yeah I agree do a leak down test! You're probably in good shape to add a supercharger! The one thing I noticed you say is "usable power" if you're looking for noticeable usable power check out magnuson or sprintex, positive displacement blowers increase torque lower in the rpm band making driving a much more enjoyable feeling. They almost act like a new diesel engine without the need to gear down on long uphill roads.
There aren't any roots type out for the 3.6 are there? Anyone developing one?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deola
There aren't any roots type out for the 3.6 are there? Anyone developing one?
Not released yet but magnuson and sprintex both have superchargers in development! The magnuson looks best for the 3.6L there is some pictures floating around the web. Sprintex is using a injected glass plastic for their housing. I would expect to see them released in a few short months if not earlier.

Quick Reply: Is my Jeep a good candidate for a RIPP Supercharger? And some questions.