Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My new setup advice

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new setup advice

Finally got around to taking the next step, moderate wheeling planned. I've done a ton of reading and I know thishas been beaten to death but I'm still confused About a few things.

08 JK unlimited rubicon

My plans

315/75/16 Duratrac on procomp 7005 wheels
Mbrp exhaust
1" body lift. Undecided on brand
2.5" teraflex BB with adapters or 2.5" coil lift with adapters

From what I've read the bb is complete and the rubicon shocks are good, but the coil lift will give me more height and more articulation. Am I going to need adjustable track bars wih the coil lift thou?

The bb is 364
The coil lift is 522 wich is OK but add trackbars if they are needed and is now getting fairly pricey.

Last edited by GixxerJK; 02-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I personally would go coils. As far as track bars you will get relocation bracket for rear and the front is not required so go ahead and go without and drive it for a while see what you think and add it later if you want. I pretty much run exactly what you are thinking of doing so feel free to hot me up with any questions.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would go with the Teraflex 2 1/2" coil lift instead. It will net closer to 3" and flex like crazy. I'm just not a fan of body lifts
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would go with the Teraflex 2 1/2" coil lift instead. It will net closer to 3" and flex like crazy. I'm just not a fan of body lifts
I just want to know if I will need the track bar for sure or is kind of a hit or miss or preference
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said see how it drives and take a measurement when done. I got a front track bar for mine bit only cause I got it used for cheap. It is not a must have for 2.5"
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would echo what was said above. Ditch your body lift plans, and just go with the 2.5 coil with the shock extension.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

As bobby stated, Front Trackbar isn't necessary on 2.5" lift. If you find one for cheap used, it's good insurance, just like sleeve and gusseting. I run a 2.5" BB and don't have either track bar or brackets... Been looking for a rear bracket for cheap.

If you are set between the 2, I would suggest the Coil lift. It is more expensive, but it will make your ride quite a bit smoother.

You can always buy the Coils used and it would be a bit cheaper, then piece together the lift. That's what I'm doing, slowing buying my lift used.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
As bobby stated, Front Trackbar isn't necessary on 2.5" lift. If you find one for cheap used, it's good insurance, just like sleeve and gusseting. I run a 2.5" BB and don't have either track bar or brackets... Been looking for a rear bracket for cheap.

If you are set between the 2, I would suggest the Coil lift. It is more expensive, but it will make your ride quite a bit smoother.

You can always buy the Coils used and it would be a bit cheaper, then piece together the lift. That's what I'm doing, slowing buying my lift used.
This is still the gray area it would seem tho.

2.5" bb = no trackbars needed just the brackets
2.5" coil but actually gives over 3" especially with stock bumpers and no winch. Will I need it?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

What do you think will happen? I am unsure as to what you are worried about. The more you lift up the more your front axle wants to uncenter. In our case the track bar axle mount is on passenger side so you will move your axle a fraction of an inch to the drivers side. When I did my lift I had an ESP light come on around corners with speed. Turned out this went away completely when I get my steering wheel perfectly centered. So as far as I can tell my adjustable front track bar has done nothing as far as driveability or at the most it has not done enough to improve it for me to deem it necessary. However it seems as though you want to buy one. So if you want to buy one then buy one. But I would bet a small fortune that there is more people out there running a 2.5" coil lift without a front adjustable track bar then there is with. Hope this doesn't seem like a rude reply just want to make it clear.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Wheels and tires sound fine. I'd personally skip the body lift. It's not needed and I don't like the look or the trouble it takes to get an inch of non-frame lift. The coil lift is a better option than a BB, and you don't have to do trackbars right away. You can always add them later. You axles will be a little off center, but it's really no big deal. I'm not a big fan of trackbar brackets when you can just buy an JKS adj. trackbar for $200 and not risk have a weak point in your suspension setup.

Quick Reply: My new setup advice