Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Project-JK is started!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey

Congrats on getting your jeep going. i have a the same lift as you and im in the torn position between 33"s or 35"s. i am ordering the weheels and the rubber at the same time and have about a month before I do so. Where abouts in Wisconsin are you located. I am right on the Illinois / Wisonsin border.

Originally Posted by dsword
Had to go get trained up on how to get images in here!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fox Valley

I'm up in the Fox Valley area Nick - near Appleton, 40 miles south of Green Bay.

I got 4 wheels and tires yesterday and put them on, the fifth wheel had to come from a different warehouse and won't be in until later today or tomorrow. As soon as I get all five on, I'll definitely get some photos up here.

I'm very happy with the look in the 33s and glad I didn't go any to any bigger tires with this lift. But again, that's just my personal opinion.

I had a Chev truck with a 6" lift and 36s and I thought that looked just right too, so go figure.

After putting on the wheels and tires, I took a drive and immediately returned to the shop that I bought them from and bought a Rancho steering stabilizer. the stock unit must be extremely weak. Between 30 and 40 mph, any little bump sent the steering wheel flopping back and forth. I'll be putting that on tonight!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of the new wheel / tire combo.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

HA. I knew that was going to happen as soon as you put any lift on the jeep. I had one put on the same time my lift was done. I am thinking I will go with 33"s as well, but now I am torn between a 15" wheel or a 16" wheel. I have the makes and models all picked out, now size is all that matters. Don't get self conscious guys. I live about 200 and some miles from where you are. I am near Gurnee, Il if you know where that is. Any good wheeling spots up there?

Originally Posted by dsword
I'm up in the Fox Valley area Nick - near Appleton, 40 miles south of Green Bay.

I got 4 wheels and tires yesterday and put them on, the fifth wheel had to come from a different warehouse and won't be in until later today or tomorrow. As soon as I get all five on, I'll definitely get some photos up here.

I'm very happy with the look in the 33s and glad I didn't go any to any bigger tires with this lift. But again, that's just my personal opinion.

I had a Chev truck with a 6" lift and 36s and I thought that looked just right too, so go figure.

After putting on the wheels and tires, I took a drive and immediately returned to the shop that I bought them from and bought a Rancho steering stabilizer. the stock unit must be extremely weak. Between 30 and 40 mph, any little bump sent the steering wheel flopping back and forth. I'll be putting that on tonight!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default stuff

Not too many good spots around here, just a few acres of a friends woods. I like to go up to the pipeline near Mountain.

I went with the 16s, down from the factory 17s cuz I like the look of less wheel and more rubber on Jeep\trucks. I think 18s and 20s are for the street cruisers. 15s would look tough too! And the wheels and tires are cheaper than the 17s.

My last wheel was supposed to be in today, but no! Dang it, I want to get some good photos with all 5 on the Jeep...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

welcome
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Welcome. Your Jeep looks very similar to mine before the modding started. It's like an addicition...you just can't stop looking through the catalogs and ordering. Enjoy it man!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

welcome to the forum
Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lower control arm cam bolt?

OK, it seems that the 2 1/2" Rough Country lift is giving me the death wobble with the 33s. Crap, I didn't read anything about having to install longer lower control arms or the cam bolt kit.

Evidently, the 4 degrees from the factory is only good to about 1 3/4 or 2"??? My wheeler garage (in business since the 70s) says this is the problem. He says I need 7 degrees. I'm wondering why Rough Country doesn't say anything about this?

Anybody have the same problem or have any input?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

describe what you call death wobble.

Quick Reply: My Project-JK is started!