JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

BlackRockBurner 03-23-2014 06:49 PM

Stephane87- occasionally I drive family that have mobility issues too, and the added height from the lift makes getting in and out somewhat of a chore. I do carry two collapsible steps and have to spot them. And the older they get, the more of a chore it may become. You kept your sidesteps so that will help. And with your spring spacers and wheel spacers you no longer look like a showroom vehicle and can handle offroad situations very well. Keeping suspension as is will help with passengers. If you want a more aggressive look maybe just add more open lug tires. To make it appear lifted try cutting fenders or add aftermarket flat fenders.

TheDirtman 03-23-2014 06:54 PM

Stephane87 Just pick a spacer that fits your budget, there is not much difference between brands. Make sure they have either extended front sway bar links or have extended rear and move the factory rears to the front.

Stephane87 03-23-2014 06:57 PM

Thanks for the compliment about my jeep :)

The thing is that I don't like flat fenders. Also my tires are new (5000km), so will have to wait for that. What do you think about my 3 suggestions?

Stephane87 03-23-2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3869159)
Stephane87 Just pick a spacer that fits your budget, there is not much difference between brands. Make sure they have either extended front sway bar links or have extended rear and move the factory rears to the front.

So a basic kit like the TF coil spacer leveling kit would be good?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/hy5egyby.jpg

TheDirtman 03-23-2014 07:16 PM

If you feel that kit will meet your needs then it should be good for you. I really don't see you needing anything else for what you described you would be doing with your jeep. I don't make a habbit of endorsing companies.

TheDirtman 03-23-2014 07:20 PM

If you are running flat fenders and do the needed trimming you should be able to get by without any extra bump stop with the factory shocks. If you run a longer body aftermarket shock then you will need to add the increased lenght of the compressed lenght to your bump stop.

Stephane87 03-23-2014 07:49 PM

Thanks Dirtman

terrabit 03-23-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3869182)
If you are running flat fenders and do the needed trimming you should be able to get by without any extra bump stop with the factory shocks. If you run a longer body aftermarket shock then you will need to add the increased lenght of the compressed lenght to your bump stop.

"With flat flares and minimal trimming of the rear fender well pinch seam, 35" tires can be run on 4.5" or less backspaced wheels with stock front bumpstops and about 2" rear extended bumpstops. So, you could run shocks that measure up to about 15" collapsed in the front and about 17.5" collapsed in the rear without bottoming them out. To gain more than stock articulation (flex), you'd run as long a shock as your springs would permit, as long as the collapsed length of the shock was at or less than the 15"/17.5"."

This is more what I'm interested in. The stock shocks offer something on the order of 7-8" of travel. I'd like to do more if I can but I don't have an easy way to measure the droop with my Teraflex springs. Maybe there's no way around putting it up on a rack, is there?

karls 03-24-2014 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by terrabit (Post 3869257)
This is more what I'm interested in. The stock shocks offer something on the order of 7-8" of travel. I'd like to do more if I can but I don't have an easy way to measure the droop with my Teraflex springs. Maybe there's no way around putting it up on a rack, is there?

You can jack it up by the axle (fairly high), place jacks under the frame close to the rear control arm mounts, remove the tires, remove the shocks, then allow the axle to droop. You'll then just watch to see when the coil starts to unseat.

It's possible to run coil retainers and squeeze a little bit longer of a shock in there but typically your longer shocks will have longer compressed lengths (an issue for what you're trying to do.)

terrabit 03-24-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3869410)
You can jack it up by the axle (fairly high), place jacks under the frame close to the rear control arm mounts, remove the tires, remove the shocks, then allow the axle to droop. You'll then just watch to see when the coil starts to unseat.

It's possible to run coil retainers and squeeze a little bit longer of a shock in there but typically your longer shocks will have longer compressed lengths (an issue for what you're trying to do.)

I kinda figured that would be the next step. I do have spring retainers but they don't look very reliable. Currently, my bumpstops are only about an inch from their seats (Does that seem right?). I know they compress a bit but that doesn't seem like much uptravel to me. And this is with the stock bumpers, no winch! I am not a fan of TF coils. In retrospect, I should've held out for the RK or MC springs which were my first choice. I don't believe I got much more than an inch and a half out of these.

Thanks for the reply.