JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

TheDirtman 02-01-2014 08:58 AM

Really, you post up on my thread that I am wrong because you made the assumption that I only rock crawl and don't how different wheeling is in the midwest and out east. You make an assumption that makes no sense by saying the axle are fine as an anchor but the belly somehow keeps you from wheeling in the mud. You state there are no rocks in MI? You tell me how bad rock crawling is but have never done it. You want a rig that will keep up with others that are built up but you don't want to put bigger tires on because of the expense of re-gearing and are worried about a $79 carrier on a $1500 job. You claim in one statement that you get hung up on the frame in deep mud then in another that you just run in the woods to hunt and fish.

From your other post you clearly don't know how to drive properly off road and could use the experience. I have almost 30 years in the heavy highway construction field and have played in the dirt and mud and have an understanding of many different terrains from solid rock to bottomless mud pits. I have wheeled sand, mud, rocks, and trails from Tennessee to California.

As far as being a know it all dick, read my profile. I am direct with my answers and I do truley love to be told "how it is" by a 18-20 year olds that lives with mom and dad and admittly doesn't have a clue about off road or how to set up an off road vehicle. That and it was Friday night and I can get a bit mean when I have had a couple of beers.

Once you come up with an idea of what you actually want out of your jeep, which I have not seen clearly defined, it will be a lot easier to help you come up with a plan.

Good luck with your build and have a good day.

mikestoick 02-01-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3825605)
This has been coming a long time- Dirtman gets called a (dick, troll, know-it-all, etc) because his opinion and experience doesn't match what someone wants to hear. It's ok, he gets it all the time. It's just funny that someone with $11k, college paid for, good job, etc wouldn't push the limit and get some 33's. With that kind of cash you could buy a samurai and beat the hell out of it for next to nothing. I've made my bed and now lay in it- atv for mud and rocks, jk for DD. No complaints from me about anything.

haha thats the point, i very much so want to push the limits! 35s is the plan for me. Im not saying tires isnt an important mod, its the most important mod. And yea i called him out but not because im offended he knows me than me, or what he says does not match all i have to say but because he is coming off as a dick haha. We are just discussing jeeps, its fun. Ive been cool and haven't said anything outrageous or rude, idk why what ive said has been met with a sort of backhanded rude response. Im just not taking write up which primarily focuses on rock crawling as gospel. I see very little rock and figure a slightly different build/theory should be applied, nothing revolutionary.

mikestoick 02-01-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3825613)
Really, you post up on my thread that I am wrong because you made the assumption that I only rock crawl and don't how different wheeling is in the midwest and out east. You make an assumption that makes no sense by saying the axle are fine as an anchor but the belly somehow keeps you from wheeling in the mud. You state there are no rocks in MI? You tell me how bad rock crawling is but have never done it. You want a rig that will keep up with others that are built up but you don't want to put bigger tires on because of the expense of re-gearing and are worried about a $79 carrier on a $1500 job. You claim in one statement that you get hung up on the frame in deep mud then in another that you just run in the woods to hunt and fish. From your other post you clearly don't know how to drive properly off road and could use the experience. I have almost 30 years in the heavy highway construction field and have played in the dirt and mud and have an understanding of many different terrains from solid rock to bottomless mud pits. I have wheeled sand, mud, rocks, and trails from Tennessee to California. As far as being a know it all dick, read my profile. I am direct with my answers and I do truley love to be told "how it is" by a 18-20 year olds that lives with mom and dad and admittly doesn't have a clue about off road or how to set up an off road vehicle. That and it was Friday night and I can get a bit mean when I have had a couple of beers. Once you come up with an idea of what you actually want out of your jeep, which I have not seen clearly defined, it will be a lot easier to help you come up with a plan. Good luck with your build and have a good day.

haha whoa man, i had some beers last night too! Haha damn beers are gonna break up the jeep family! Haha really man no disrespect, im sure you wheel great anywhere, its just that from what it seen like you like the rocks and the write up concerns them. I seriously am not trying to argue. I want to wheel in mostly snow and mud and am a self proclaimed non-no-it-all thats why i was asking for your help bud. Basically all im saying is that i think getting the body and frame up out of the soup might be good for what im looking to do. Nothin crazy, nothing outrageous, just thought i would suggest it and i think a few others might agree. We are cool man, i respect your experience, and love jeeps and outdoors just like you you probably do. Anyway, i dont think anything productive is going to come out this thread going back and fourth like this. So regardless man, have fun, be safe and know that the young generation is crazy about jeepin and will keep the heritage alive! Rest assured we all arent all hung up on 4 bangin hatchbacks with spoilers haha. Jeep on buddy. 🍻

Maertz 02-01-2014 10:52 AM

one vote here to remove all mikes posts from this thread :fingerscrossed:

mikestoick 02-01-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maertz (Post 3825682)
one vote here to remove all mikes posts from this thread :fingerscrossed:

haha yea ive been a real asshole??

Jeepstin12 02-01-2014 11:32 AM

This is getting better than that show my wife use to watch. What was it called? I think it was some thing like Melrose Platt??? Melrose Space??? IDK, Melrose something........ Btw, if I were choosing sides, I'm with the Dirtman. I think he's my father. :D

BlackRockBurner 02-01-2014 01:26 PM

Let's say someone lifts 5 feet high and runs 32" wheels and he's into a mud pit that swallows the axels and stops the rig. The axels are anchors but the frame is clean and dry.

jadmt 02-01-2014 01:28 PM

I remember when I was 20yoa I knew everything too especially after a few beers, if only people would have listened to me there would be world peas and hominy....

webejeepin 02-01-2014 01:41 PM

I've referenced this thread so many times...it's about time I say thanks to the OP The Dirtman for this one.

:beer:

rsbmg 02-01-2014 01:56 PM

Mike, perhaps its not clear to you where you will in fact see the most performance gain for your vehicle, in any terrain. Its tires. You would be better off all around with bigger tires. It doesn't matter if you rock crawl, drive through, mud, snow or fire roads, bigger tires is where its at. Now lets be real for a moment. You would certainly see a benefit from a small suspension lift and your current tires but, its not going to be as much of a benefit as bigger tires and no suspension lift. So if you want to go spend 180 bucks on a budget boost and that makes you happy do it, but I think you will find that happiness is short lived.